Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
picked up my outlander 570 last friday. Driving it is fun, and im really glad i got the 570 instead of the 450.

I have a few questions for folks after my first ride.

1. When letting off of the throttle i hear a clunk from the CVT. im guessing this is the engine breaking and its normal, can anyone confirm?

2. The dealer told me non can am oils tend to leak, im 99% certain this is just dealer bluster trying to get me to buy oil from them but wanted to check with folks. I want to run rotella t6 after the first oil change.

3. what skid plates are you running? Im thinking of getting the can am skid plates, but ricochet also makes a full set.

·
Registered
2007 Outlander 800 Max Xt
98 Posts
Congrats on the new toy!

After working on my old fixer upper and lurking around here, I think the consensus on the clutch system is that it can be a little noisy on a CanAm anyways.

As far as oils, I would comb through the sight a little. There's a few pages of people agreeing to disagree about it. Personally, as long as it meets the specs or goes beyond, I'll use whatever is available. I think modern oil is pretty damn good in any flavor and as long as I keep it full, clean and fresh, I don't worry about it much. That's me though and this is ultimately your investment to protect...

Mine had aluminum skid plates on it when I got it ( I can take a look if there is a brand name on them ) so, I'll defer to the others on here with more experience.

I'm sure someone with more experience will chime in shortly so, take my thoughts with a grain of salt, lol.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info! I know the commander i owned had a very noisy CVT. I ran rotella t6 in that because those engines get nice and hot and t6 has good heat resistant properties

·
Registered
2021 Outlander 850 max XT-P
642 Posts
Look up Can-Am clunk. That noise is normal and bothers many. I don't notice it as much any more but at first I swore I was breaking something.

I went with the Can-Am skids but any of the 3 will do the job nicely.

Enjoy that new ride!!! Congrats!

·
Registered
2007 Outlander 800 Max Xt
98 Posts
I have an older 07' Dodge diesel and a 10' VW Jetta diesel so I usually run whatever they use in everything else, even my lawn mower. It just so happens to be rotella t6 too and It seems to be a pretty good oil or at least it has been for me.

It makes the ease of servicing a little easier since I only need one type on hand. I believe one of the main differences in diesel oil vs. gas engine oil is that diesel oil usually has more detergents in it to keep the internals clean. I live in central Texas though so, the heavier viscosity isn't that much of a big deal due to the heat most of the year.

·
Registered
2019 570 outlander. 2018 570 outlander.
271 Posts
Congrats on the new machine. A lot of us just but the BRP kit as it comes with the oil, filter, O-ring and new crush washer for $50 but many people buy this stuff outright and use whatever oil they like. I have never heard of other oil leaking because it was different oil. At least not on this forum so if that is a thing, someone let us know...

Skids: BRP, Iron Baltic, Ricochet. I think everyone is happy with those 3 brands so the final choice is up to you. I have the Iron Baltics in plastic and have zero complaints but that's just me.

Let us know what you go with and pics are always welcome buddy.

·
Registered
2021 Outlander Max 450 DPS
1,016 Posts
The clunk on mine is from normal backlash in the drive system. Better throttle control on my part has reduced the clunking to a tolerable level.

I have been using T6 for years in motorcycles and now in my quad with 100% confidence in it.

BRP aluminum skid plates got the nod from me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all,
picked up my outlander 570 last friday. Driving it is fun, and im really glad i got the 570 instead of the 450.

1. When letting off of the throttle i hear a clunk from the CVT. im guessing this is the engine breaking and its normal, can anyone confirm?

2. The dealer told me non can am oils tend to leak, im 99% certain this is just dealer bluster trying to get me to buy oil from them but wanted to check with folks. I want to run rotella t6 after the first oil change.

3. what skid plates are you running? Im thinking of getting the can am skid plates, but ricochet also makes a full set.
the clunk is normal
I use royal purple in engine and all drive train in two 2020 570 outlanders and 1 2022 1000r XT outlander no oil leaks that story is BS from the stealerships...

·
Registered
2020 Can-Am Renegade 570
202 Posts
Welcome, and congrats on the new machine!

The clunk is a normal can am thing. I would just buy the complete oil change kit from can am (what your dealership said is BS. It is easy enough to do pretty much everything after your first service so picking up one of the brp oil change kits is convenient). And I like the ricochet, but I would go with can am if your are looking for plastic skids.

·
Registered
2015 Can Am Outlander XT 650
96 Posts
1. It is normal and can be avoided by easing on the throttle and feathering it rather than flicking it off and on.

2. I personally use whatever the manufacturer recommends but I'm sure any high quality oil is fine.

3. I'm running aluminum ricochets with black anodized paint. It's holding up well but obviously deep gouges scratch the paint off but no flaking. As far as protection they are awesome and you can still change fluids with them on but the exposed mounting hardware is an issue and you will mangle up or even break off some bolt heads. The Can Am ones have better mounting hardware in my opinion. Aluminum skids do not slide on rocks like plastic ones either so depending on where you ride that might be a factor. They can stick like glue on some rocks but bash right over downed trees, logs, or roots without any anxiety. I've had branches go through stock plastics on numerous machines so no matter what skid plates you get just get them. They are worth it and essential in my opinion.

·
Registered
2021 Defender Limited
108 Posts
As you learn the machine, as Tozguy said, you'll learn to feed the throttle gently (unless your on pole position at Le Mans) and the clunk isn't there. I've also noticed that the engine has REALLY smoothed out with 35 hrs on the clock. Guess it's time for the first oil change. First one will be CanAm, but I'll probably got to Mobil 1 after that. I have used Mobil 1 Gear oil in the past in a Gold Wing 1500. It was funny, it seeped the Mobil 1, but the Honda synthetic was perfect. I went back to the Honda and the seeping stopped. I do have to say that this seepage was like 2 teaspoons over 6000 miles, but I'm pretty picky about machines (ground and airplanes) that might cause me grievance harm if they fail. Now, the Gold Wing engine was built like a jewel - I doubt Rotax is close, but the 1500 seeped it, I'm thinking something else for the Defender gear cases. Anyone have some they like?

Stay safe - have a good time and don't make a mess.

WW

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi all,

on the oil thing i use only amsoil the best syn oil out there

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I ordered the can am kit on amazon the full syn. 60 bucks ... ouch. I would have gotten the amsoil kit but it wouldn't have arrived before i left for Carolina adventure world. Really disappointing to find it rated SM, when SP is the new standard. I ordered it because i couldn't find a gasket kit for the oil filter. I kinda forgot i live literally 5 minutes from the dealer. I would have just put some penzoil platinum in it to hold me over till I can fill it up with the good stuff. I just wish the rear bushings were quieter.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi all,

the best oil out there is amsoil run it my drag car and my 850 xmr ...........you get what you pay for period

1 - 16 of 16 Posts