Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear John,

Thank you for contacting me regarding Motion 48. I understand the importance of this issue for our farmers and our rural communities.

Motion 48 was debated this past Thursday. Our PC Caucus was fully supportive of this motion and I was pleased that it was passed by the legislature. It is now up to the Wynne government to change the regulation addressed by the motion.

Our caucus has already committed to addressing this very issue in our PC policy white paper entitled A Champion for Northern Jobs and Resources. You can read more about our policy white papers on a variety of issues by visiting Ontario PC Caucus Policy White Papers | Randy Pettapiece | MPP for Perth-Wellington. I would appreciate any feedback you may have. :yahoo::th_smiliedance::clapsmilie:

Thanks again for writing.

Randy Pettapiece, MPP
Perth-Wellington
Phone: 519-272-0660
Toll-free: 1-800-461-9701
Randy Pettapiece | MPP for Perth-Wellington

Motion Details:
Ballot Item Number 55 – To be debated November 7, 2013.
Private Members' Notice of Motion Number 48
Mr. Crack — That, in the opinion of this House, the operation of
off-road vehicles on highways under Regulation 316/03 be changed to
include side-by-side off-road vehicles, four seat side-by-side
vehicles and two-up vehicles in order for them to be driven on
highways under the same conditions as other off-road/all-terrain
vehicles.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
That's great news!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Like you I am hopeful but remember all this does is make the government review the legislature and ask for input from organizations like the MTO and the OPP. The MTO own the legislation............

Sadly on a couple of occasions (OFATV Annual Meeting) the MTO have suggested they have little interest in changing their laws to allow 2-ups and SxS on the roads. Their feeling is that passengers only add to potential fatalities if the Off Road Vehicle was to collide with a vehicle. One person on an ATV one dead, two people on an ATV two dead.

One to keep in mind as well that was pointed out is the expanding width of the SxS is not helping. There are many situations where shoulders are not wide enough for an ATV never mind a SxS. Like I said I am sure hopeful but this is a small step.............all be it a step in the right direction. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: Maxster

·
Registered
304 Posts
Forget the passengers!I'd be happy just to be able to drive my Max on the road legally by myself.:th_smiliefrustrated

Shhh............how I am honestly going to say "I had no idea Mr. Officer"? :th_smiliepullhair:

·
Registered
836 Posts
Like you I am hopeful but remember all this does is make the government review the legislature and ask for input from organizations like the MTO and the OPP. The MTO own the legislation............

Sadly on a couple of occasions (OFATV Annual Meeting) the MTO have suggested they have little interest in changing their laws to allow 2-ups and SxS on the roads. Their feeling is that passengers only add to potential fatalities if the Off Road Vehicle was to collide with a vehicle. One person on an ATV one dead, two people on an ATV two dead.

One to keep in mind as well that was pointed out is the expanding width of the SxS is not helping. There are many situations where shoulders are not wide enough for an ATV never mind a SxS. Like I said I am sure hopeful but this is a small step.............all be it a step in the right direction. Fingers crossed.
Oddly though, a motorcycle traveling at posted speeds is allowed to carry a passenger, in some cases perched precariously on a seat no larger than a slice of bread.
The MTO is just another Gov't bueaucracy more interested in doing less while controlling more and so have no interest in the needs/wants of the people. They must be pushed hard by many to take action of any kind so we must keep the pressure on by continuing to write to our mpp's to check on progress. If we just sit and wait now change will never come.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts