Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well....a foot of snow is falling in PA and the surrounding areas today. I put a new battery in the quad a few months ago. She fired up this morning and has been trickle charging. I was plowing in low gear and all of a sudden the quad just shut off. I know the winch draws a lot of voltage but I had no low battery indication as I did in the past with the old battery. I assumed that maybe it was an overheating issue. Checked the coolant reservoir and it was low. Quad seems to sometimes have power but immediately shuts off or will just not turn on at all. Heard a few clicking noises the last time I got it to power on but then it just went dark. Now I just get nothing at all. Volt meter is showing 12.64

The quad is mainly meant for snow removal so to have this thing not be ready to go really sucks at this moment. So if anyone has any ideas....and can point me in the right direction..i'd greatly appreciate it.

Update: dealer is going to pick it up tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
What year model?

Not that it should matter, to the best of my knowledge, none of the canams have any kind of overheat shutdown protection, yours cutting off had to have been something else, voltage as you suspected, is also my guess. Might be nothing more than a loose/bad connection. I take it you've double-checked the battery cables and grounds?

·
Registered
875 Posts
A trickle charger will cook your battery.
A maintainer will keep it "active".
We roll the dice every time we buy a battery.
The standing voltage seems low to me .
I try to tell people I know to invest in a good battery maintainer.
I use the Tender Jr for all my 12V stuff .

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies everyone. The negative cable was a bit loose but I still have issues with starting it. Good to know that it doesn't have a overheat shutdown protection so that's one less thing to check off the list.

It's just odd how with the first time I use the plow it quit on me, so I feel it's a voltage issue as well. I did purchase the battery from the dealer a few months ago and it comes with a 1-year warranty so I hope I'm in good hands. Still waiting on them to pick it up now. Figure they'll give it a once over as well and check for any other issues.

Year is a 2009. I actually have this as my charger and it is also a maintainer so it's not a trickle charger per se.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dealer was able to pull a code that I had a low voltage warning. So I guess my winch is just drawing too much power even though it's a new battery. He recommenced putting it on a battery charger -which I do. Also said my terminals were a bit loose. So I hope that fixes the problem. Battery was at 100% today and still would not start so I feel it's something else but they did a load test on it and it performed fine.

·
Registered
47 Posts
"Battery was at 100% today and still would not start so I feel it's something else but they did a load test on it and it performed fine. "

Wow, such a dealer ... How is it that it worked at their shop and not at your home? How is your winch drawing power before you start the bike? Can't you switch the winch off? Did you pay the dealer for the 'service' described? Did the dealer tell you the bike was fine and that they had no problem starting it? When they returned it, did you get on it and try starting it before letting theme leave?

I'd be on the phone with them boys (wanting my money back).

My bike's so old (2004) I don't think it has a code. I had starting issues and finally popped for a new regulator - but, my issue was that it would not charge the batter(ies) I kept buying for it!

BTW: I do NOT use a maintainer. If the bike sits for Winter and needs a charge, I'll do that then. Knock upon a wooden surface, but mine seems to work ok w/o trickling it at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts