Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which shocks are better and why? I know the Fox Podium Shocks come on the XTP but the shocks on the XT would need to be upgraded to something else. So which would be better?

·
Registered
518 Posts
i would love to hear the results of this is someone here has had the chance to ride both as well

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
If you have the extra coin buy the XTP right away. Those are darn nice shocks. If you buy the XT and upgrade to either the $600 Fox "podiums" or ELKA Stage1s. Then I say buy the ELKAS, you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you have the extra coin buy the XTP right away. Those are darn nice shocks. If you buy the XT and upgrade to either the $600 Fox "podiums" or ELKA Stage1s. Then I say buy the ELKAS, you get what you pay for.
So, the ELKAS are better but more expensive. Right??? And from reading the thread about the FOX shocks, they aren't lubricated from the factory.Why???

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
the Fox shocks that come on the XTP are $1500 EACH from BRP and ARE NOT the same as the $600(for all 4) Fox "Podiums" they sell in the accessory catalogue. I believe they are preload, compression,rebound adjustable with ressevoirs.
The $1000(for all 4) Stage 1 Elkas are better than the $600(for all 4) Fox Podiums.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So the shocks that come on the XTP are better that the ELKAs. Or just more expensive, then...I'm new to all this and just want to get as much info before I comment to either the XTP or the XT. Because from what I read, if I buy the XT, I will need aftermarket shocks. If thats the case, then it might be cheaper to just buy the XTP at the beginning, then.Right???

·
Registered
886 Posts
The shocks on the xtp are a version of the podium X's, the comparable shock in the Elkas are stage 4's.

It seems that you can't buy podium x's from Fox only from BRP, I'm guessing that the BRP ones are valved and sprung for a 160lb rider, if you fit this profile then they would be a fine shock. If you don't then it's probably better to get the Elkas custom built for your weight and riding style but they are more $

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
The shocks that come on the XTP are better than the Stage1 Elkas for sure. Probably equal to a Stage4 Elka.
Fot the quality of shocks you get, buying the XTP is the way to go.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Not trying to get off the subject about fox shocks and elka's why dont you look at crutchfield shocks i have stage 2 crutchfields on my renegade and they are on there 3rd renegade and still work like i just bought them they are awesome!! and worth the $$$$$ by far the best shock so far iv'e owned.

·
Registered
886 Posts
^ not in the same ballpark for performance, and I've seen too many broken ones, pulled out cv's etc. I wouldn't consider them. Seems they didn't stand behind them very well when they were broken either.

·
Registered
518 Posts
So the shocks that come on the XTP are better that the ELKAs. Or just more expensive, then...I'm new to all this and just want to get as much info before I comment to either the XTP or the XT. Because from what I read, if I buy the XT, I will need aftermarket shocks. If thats the case, then it might be cheaper to just buy the XTP at the beginning, then.Right???
the stock shocks on the XT may not be the cream of the crop shock but lets be real here, the bike isn't bottoming out consistently with my 215 pounds on it. while i would guess you will notice great improvements from the aftermarket products you mentioned by no means do you have to replace the stockers asap to appreciate your ride

Reactions: Spawn

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
the stock shocks on the XT may not be the cream of the crop shock but lets be real here, the bike isn't bottoming out consistently with my 215 pounds on it. while i would guess you will notice great improvements from the aftermarket products you mentioned by no means do you have to replace the stockers asap to appreciate your ride
constantly bottoming no. I'm 230. Come around a corner doing 30km/h, see a hole, let off the gas, apply the brakes, enter the hole and it bottoms. That's no good in my book, shouldn't come close to bottoming. Going around corners at any speed it leans way over. letting off the gas at any speed it nosedives. it's like riding a bull, HANG ON!

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
constantly bottoming no. I'm 230. Come around a corner doing 30km/h, see a hole, let off the gas, apply the brakes, enter the hole and it bottoms. That's no good in my book, shouldn't come close to bottoming. Going around corners at any speed it leans way over. letting off the gas at any speed it nosedives. it's like riding a bull, HANG ON!
Will better shocks such as those on the xtp or upgrading the xt's shocks fix that then?

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
Yes it will. I put Stage1 Elkas on and the issues are totally gone. A different bike all together!

·
Registered
886 Posts
if you're a mudder then you probably don't care but I like to trail ride at a pretty good clip. I've put money into pipes, tuners, clutches etc. I've learned my lesson, the very first thing I will do to any bike now is to upgrade the suspension. It's made the biggest difference to the bike IMO. :smilietwocents:

the stock suspension to put it bluntly is crap.

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
if you're a mudder then you probably don't care but I like to trail ride at a pretty good clip. I've put money into pipes, tuners, clutches etc. I've learned my lesson, the very first thing I will do to any bike now is to upgrade the suspension. It's made the biggest difference to the bike IMO. :smilietwocents:

the stock suspension to put it bluntly is crap.
Hedge is right. My other bud with a 1000 Outty put money into pipe, tuner, clutch kit, tires. Why? The bike is already too fast and powerful for the stock POS shocks. Upgrade the suspension first.:smilietwocents:

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Then I guess the xtp is cheaper than buying an xt and putting Elka shocks on it. Even the xtp is 1500 to 2000 more than the xt.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
I have Fox podiums on my Renegade and after trying my buddy's Outlander with Elkas I have to say the Elkas are alot better. The build quality is amazing and the ride is that much better than the Podiums.

I would trade my Fox Podiums for Elka shocks any day.

Reactions: Spawn

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
I have Fox podiums on my Renegade and after trying my buddy's Outlander with Elkas I have to say the Elkas are alot better. The build quality is amazing and the ride is that much better than the Podiums.

I would trade my Fox Podiums for Elka shocks any day.
what Stage Elkas are they?

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Stage 2+

I would hate to try the Stage 5.........

Reactions: MagsH2
1 - 20 of 56 Posts