Can-Am ATV Forum banner

Front diff lock light flashing

9136 Views 7 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Eich13R
2021 can am outlander XMR 850.

The 4x4 actuates fine, but when I try to lock the diff there is no sound of it trying to lock and the lights start to flash after a second. Looking for some insight as to whether this is something I can fix and what it might be or if I'm gonna have to take it to the dealer. Its out of the warrenty period otherwise I would've just dropped it off to get fixed.

I hate other people working on my stuff and usually do everything myself but I haven't been able to find much about this yet. Hoping y'all can help me out.

More info:
The 4x4 actuator is audible. I lifted the front up, in two wheel drive the wheel spin easily in opposite directions, in 4x4 its hard to turn but still opposite. When I try to lock the diff it does the same thing as just 4x4 so from what I can tell it's not locking and the sensor is reporting that correctly.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This full locker is a rather new feature. Not much experience out there on it yet. I would suggest a teardown and inspect for any damage on parts.
  • Helpful
Reactions: 2
This full locker is a rather new feature. Not much experience out there on it yet. I would suggest a teardown and inspect for any damage on parts.
I have a ride in about a month, worried about not getting it back together in time, might be a winter project
Reactions: 1
2021 can am outlander XMR 850.

The 4x4 actuates fine, but when I try to lock the diff there is no sound of it trying to lock and the lights start to flash after a second. Looking for some insight as to whether this is something I can fix and what it might be or if I'm gonna have to take it to the dealer. Its out of the warrenty period otherwise I would've just dropped it off to get fixed.

I hate other people working on my stuff and usually do everything myself but I haven't been able to find much about this yet. Hoping y'all can help me out.

More info:
The 4x4 actuator is audible. I lifted the front up, in two wheel drive the wheel spin easily in opposite directions, in 4x4 its hard to turn but still opposite. When I try to lock the diff it does the same thing as just 4x4 so from what I can tell it's not locking and the sensor is reporting that correctly.
I have a 2022 Renegade XMR 1000 same problem. Only does it once in a blue moon, doesnt seem to want to lock, but if i move the bike a few feet forwards/backwards it engages fine. Couldnt even find anything about it in the manual. Any updates on your end? Causes or fixes?
I have a 2022 Renegade XMR 1000 same problem. Only does it once in a blue moon, doesnt seem to want to lock, but if i move the bike a few feet forwards/backwards it engages fine. Couldnt even find anything about it in the manual. Any updates on your end? Causes or fixes?
Brought it to the dealer and they suspect it's the actuator. Mine still goes into 4x4 but won't lock at all. Haven't gotten it fixed yet as the actuator is on backorder
Brought it to the dealer and they suspect it's the actuator. Mine still goes into 4x4 but won't lock at all. Haven't gotten it fixed yet as the actuator is on backorder
I have the same problem. My 21 outlander xmr 850 goes into 4x4 fine but when I press the diff lock the red light flashes and I hear the actuator come on and I see the lock on the screen then it goes off and goes into regular 4x4.
I have the same problem. My 21 outlander xmr 850 goes into 4x4 fine but when I press the diff lock the red light flashes and I hear the actuator come on and I see the lock on the screen then it goes off and goes into regular 4x4.
I just had the same thing happen on my 2021 xmr 850 after replacing that switch assembly due to it failing on me. I replaced the actuator already for the front diff due to having a spare diff apart, the normal 4wd works fine but not the locker it just flashes. Did anyone ever find a fix for this issue?
I just had the same thing happen on my 2021 xmr 850 after replacing that switch assembly due to it failing on me. I replaced the actuator already for the front diff due to having a spare diff apart, the normal 4wd works fine but not the locker it just flashes. Did anyone ever find a fix for this issue?
Had the same thing happen to my 2023. took it back to the dealer and they told me it was a pin connector. they cleaned it and put it back together, haven't had a problem since. Only issue is I am not sure what connection they addressed.
  • Helpful
1 - 8 of 8 Posts