Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a Can-Am outlander 800 MAX XT 2012 from a guy who said it was an excellent shape. Really didn't know much about four wheelers, bought it for my stepdaughter for Christmas. Now that I'm getting at home have realized it needs a lot of work and I don't have the extra money. I'm pretty handy so I'm going to try to fix what I can at home. It appears to be leaking differential oil around the front drive shaft. I have ordered a new diff seal along with a new wear ring. Was only able to find one video on YouTube that involve pulling the entire differential out of the ATV. Does anyone have any suggestions, or YouTube links for reference. Don't mind pulling the front diff out, was just looking for the best advice. Thanks

·
Registered
855 Posts
You will have to remove the diff bolts so the diff can be slid forward a tad but it doesn't need to come out of the bike .
The wear ring will need to be cut off and the new one pressed on .
If there's no groove in the OD of the ring its probably just an old dried out seal.
There's Loctite on the 13 mm bolts that secure the shaft & coupler so heat them before trying to remove.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You will have to remove the diff bolts so the diff can be slid forward a tad but it doesn't need to come out of the bike .
The wear ring will need to be cut off and the new one pressed on .
If there's no groove in the OD of the ring its probably just an old dried out seal.
There's Loctite on the 13 mm bolts that secure the shaft & coupler so heat them before trying to remove.
Bonzo
You are a life saver. Thank you for the advice on this post and my other post. I'm a girl and nurse by trade so I don't have the most experience, but you have given me a great starting point. Fingers crossed.
Holly

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anytime .
More questions just post back .
Glad to help .
I'm still waiting on several parts to come in the mail. Last night my wife and I took all the plastics off and started cleaning a lot of the mud off the bike. I went ahead and drained the rear differential fluid and put fresh fluid in it. As a side note I used a syringe designed for urinary Foley catheters and it worked amazing to measure the perfect amount. I did notice that it looks like someone may have torked the plug too tight as there's a crack behind the drain plug of the rear differential. It looks like the crack goes all the way through. Going to check it again to see if the new fluid is leaking today. Is there a way to repair this crack without replacing the entire rear diff? Is this even something I should be concerned about?

·
Registered
855 Posts
I wouldn't be overly concerned with it if it isn't leaking but be careful when putting it back in .
Maybe a little blue RTV and leave it a smidge past hand tight.
  1. There's also supposed to be a copper crush washer there and it's hard to tell if there is .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wouldn't be overly concerned with it if it isn't leaking but be careful when putting it back in .
Maybe a little blue RTV and leave it a smidge past hand tight.
  1. There's also supposed to be a copper crush washer there and it's hard to tell if there is .
The washer was there. It was COVERED it mud and dirty oil.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I'm basically a real perfectionist when it comes to my bike but 90% of people would do as I suggested in my previous post .
Maybe clean the immediate area with brake cleaner and a stainless steel brush and work a little JB weld or something that will bond into the crack .
Again just be mindful when you're reinstalling it.

Of course , the "correct" thing to do is either replace that half of the diff housing or have it welded . All depends on how far you want to take it .

·
Registered
461 Posts
You may want to change the gearbox fluid too for peace of mind. The fluids for these guys do run expensive....

Then you just need to change the engine oil and filter and your fulids are up to par!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts