Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to get a front end bucket for my 2007 outlander 400. I would rather have a tractor but that is not an option and the implement is desperately needed. I have been looking at them for some time now and it doesn't appear to be too complicated and my 400 is at the bare minimum for the recommended size. Worthwhile or waste of time and money? Do's and don't s? Recommended brands and systems? No room for screw ups I appreciate any and all input. Thank you all.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have the swisher setup and the bucket. The plow is solid. The bucket is marginally useful. Because of the way the push tube is so low the bucket is not high enough to dump nor low enough to scoop well. It can be made much better with some modifications but don't plan on making it as useful as any tractor.

·
Registered
263 Posts
my opinion that is way to much weight on the front of a machine...
The swisher setup is great at distribution of the weight. I've loaded the bucket and even more on the front rack and never once had an issue.

The swisher setup is spring loaded a and bolts to the rear ball assembly area.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
  • That's the one. It looks like the price has gone up with recent steel increases. The issues you describe are exactly the concerns I have and these are clearly evident in the videos, even the mods to improve the performance if I was looking at it correctly. I am assuming that yours has the mount that attaches to the undercarriage that also supports the rear mounted implement? My needs are just general home stuff. A back saver is pretty much what I need. Thank you very much for the information.

·
Registered
263 Posts
  • That's the one. It looks like the price has gone up with recent steel increases. The issues you describe are exactly the concerns I have and these are clearly evident in the videos, even the mods to improve the performance if I was looking at it correctly. I am assuming that yours has the mount that attaches to the undercarriage that also supports the rear mounted implement? My needs are just general home stuff. A back saver is pretty much what I need. Thank you very much for the information.
Yes it mounts in a much better way then other products. The downside is taking the pins out in the front on the A-arms can be difficult at times. When you want to trail ride you have to take the entire thing off and believe me that sucks in the winter when it's full of ice.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The most hazardous route it may ever take will be out to the deer stands and that is part of it's intended use or at least I hope.
Thank you very much for the input. Overall you would recommend ?

·
Registered
263 Posts
I honestly don't recommend it for the bucket. I will measure the ground clearance and snap a few shots of it in the morning for you.

Here is rockville and it's unusable for trail riding with the tube mounted. Going to a deer stand you are probably better off with a small trailer for that purpose.

You end up shoveling stuff in the bucket instead of just picking it up with it. If I get a load of mulch for the house I shovel it in the trailer. If I buy bags I can put them in the bucket.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good stuff for consideration. I have retaken my position on the fence unsure and needing to pick a side, lol.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
4,097 Posts
I had no idea such a thing even existed, lol, awesome.

Bill- I found the front struts/springs on my old 400 didn't really age well, very soft and lacked rebound by the time I got it. Just a thought- you may find yourself needing to stiffen the front springs, if you get anywhere with that bucket

·
Registered
263 Posts
Take a look at this video. If you have loose material it somewhat works. The bucket holds little and you waste a ton of time going back and forth just articulating the bucket. If your material is sticky the angle of the bucket makes it hard to drop. If the material is dense good luck ramming your machine into it to try and get a load.

He explains how it's hooked up and how it works pretty well. Pay attention to how he is working with it and picture how much time is wasted.

This is a much better design all the way around. Not sure about it's durability but functional wise it's 1000 % better. It also makes it so if you want to trail ride it's much less a hassle.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I also forgot to mention the bucket can unexpectedly drop after a couple years of use on rough terrain. It's a rather unpleasant feature of the design.

·
Registered
Green 2006 outlander 400 XT, yellow 06 outlander 400 max XT
185 Posts
Here is what you are looking for. probably cost more than the atv but essentially make it into a small tractor. I have never used or seen one of these except for this video

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
So what did they do to the suspension of all the machines in the video? The front ends do not compress at all when lifting the bucket full or empty... The suspension is not designed for this and all you will do it destroy it over time.. Look how much the suspension compresses with just a lite snow blade on a machine.. I would never put something like this on a ATV/SXS but to each their own.. Even the bobcat sxs that is designed for this and comes factory with a bucket compresses the front suspension..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah the ones with their own hydraulics will cost waaay more than what I have on the ATV itself so they aren't a consideration. I have not previously seen the yellow one I dont think so I will check it out. There is no comparison to even the smallest tractor as far as capabilities. My needs aren't that great so my expectations wouldn't be either. I wouldn't be loading it with anything more than what I would carry in a large wheel barrow or cart. With reasonable expectations performance can be maximized with driver skill which was painfully obvious in several videos. It won't move mountains but I'm sure I could scoop up a mole hill, lol. I'm looking to save what's left of my lower back, shoulders, neck, arms and every other crackling joint in my body. Unless it's a total nightmare to screw with it just might suit my needs. Granted, it would have been a better fit when it was still in the $400 range as opposed to the $600 range it has jumped up to. Thank you for all the interesting input yall

·
Registered
263 Posts
So what did they do to the suspension of all the machines in the video? The front ends do not compress at all when lifting the bucket full or empty... The suspension is not designed for this and all you will do it destroy it over time.. Look how much the suspension compresses with just a lite snow blade on a machine.. I would never put something like this on a ATV/SXS but to each their own.. Even the bobcat sxs that is designed for this and comes factory with a bucket compresses the front suspension..
Not sure about the others but the swisher design takes a lot of the load off the suspension. I've moved quite a lot of material with it. The issue is that it's just not an efficient operating tool out of the box.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts