Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a Renegade 1000 and while it gets significantly better fuel economy than my previous Polaris Sportsman 800, I would still like to mount a fuel pack on the rear. It is a Kolpin Fuel Pack JR. I am probably gonna have to get something of a rear rack for the Renegade. I want to keep it small as I just need to mount the fuel pack. My other gear I carry in my tactical back pack.

Anyone else mount a fuel pack on theirs and how and what did you use to do it?

Thanks

·
Registered
669 Posts
1.75 gallon

·
Registered
669 Posts
This is my setup. That is a PRM rack with the Kolpin mount bolted to it.
not trying to be a dick -- but dont you worry about your buddy smashing into the rear of you and that tank exploding .

or the exhaust melting the tank when just sitting at idle.

just saying

·
Registered
666 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
I had mine mounted on my box like that til I flipped it open one day with a full tank and it ripped the hinge off.
Still have to thank you again, I got the same Plano case and it's worked awesome! Very good in the deep water too (I've had it under) haha.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
The riding we do, would tear those tanks right off those plastic cases even tho they are strong cases.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Never had a problem with my pelican case, theyre pretty much indestructible, and come with a lifetime warranty if you do manage to break one. The military exclusively uses them as well because of how durable they are. You get what you pay for when it comes to Pelican.

·
Registered
62 Posts
This is my setup. That is a PRM rack with the Kolpin mount bolted to it.
not trying to be a dick -- but dont you worry about your buddy smashing into the rear of you and that tank exploding .

or the exhaust melting the tank when just sitting at idle.

just saying
Not in the slightest. It is mounted so high that it would have to be a substantial rear ending to get close to it, I think if I got hit that hard I would have other issues to worry about. It is also a misconception that tanks explode with pressure.

I'm not sure if the picture is making it look closer to the exhaust than it actually is but no, there is no heat transfer from it to the jerry. This picture will hopefully help give better perspective.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So after looking around the net to find something, I realized that even if I bought a rear rack that it would need to be modified for mounting a fuel pack. I instead made my own rack/mounting plate. I carry all the stuff I need with me in my tactical backpack from Ruger so I didn't need an extra storage spot nor did I want a larger rack on the back I wanted to keep the machine smooth and sleek.

I instead removed the four tie down anchors on the back between the rear fenders and started to fab a mount to go there. After looking at my fuel pack I realized it was larger than the distance between the fenders to sit right flush on the rubber pad on the back.

I started with a sheet of 16 gauge hot rolled steel that I cut down to 10.5" across the front, closest to the seat, and 7.5" across the back. The distance between these 2 made the overall depth 7". I then took my new mounting bolts that would run through the new mounting plate into the factory anchor holes on the back and threaded those in so that I could get the on center measurements of the bolt holes that would need to be drilled through the new mounting plate. These new bolts were M6-1.0x75mm.

I then needed to make some spacers to go between the new mounting plate and the top of the atv's rear tie down area. For this I used 1/2" PVC cut to 1-3/4" in length, you will need four of these.

Next was mounting the fuel packs bracket to the new mount. For this I centered the bracket on the new mount. I mounted it with 1/4"-20 x 1" SS bolts, lock nuts, and fender washers. I also needed to use a 1/4" nylon spacer between the fuel pack bracket and the new mounting plate so that the fuel pack body wouldn't rub on the tops of the mounting plate bolts.

Once everything was built I used Dupont spray on bed liner in a can to coat the new mounting plate and the PVC spacers so that it would look good. It turned out pretty well.

I then bolted everything together and used a little blue lock tite on the new long mounting bolts that go into the atv's subframe to keep them from vibrating out. The fuel pack mounts on the bracket great and the pack sits just above the rear fenders. It mounts in a way that it doesn't hinder you from removing the seat with the fuel pack on there and it allows full use of the rear grab bar.

Here are some pictures. Enjoy!

001.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

·
Registered
827 Posts
How many miles are you guys getting on a tank of gas? I've never needed extra gas on a ride before.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
I rode 131 miles wednesday and added 3 gallons and still came home with 1/4 tank. I'm guessing I could SQUEEZE 100 miles out of a tank, but would most likely run out before the 100 mark.

·
Registered
827 Posts
We never ride that long. That must be fast paced trails

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Some places we ran 80 MPH for a few miles at a time, and often we ran 60 MPH but there was some rocky sections that we had to slow down for and a few tighter sections.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Oconto County. I can ride from my house and ride right into Upper Michigan if I wanted to. I think there is 2-300 miles of trails in Oconto County alone. Its great, railroad beds, woods trails, mud-play areas, national forest, etc.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts