Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems to me like the fuel pump may be going out but I'm not positive so I want to see what you guys think.

My bike is being difficult to start when cold. It will turn over fine but longer than it usually takes to crank and run at low Rpms (700-1000) for a second or two then stall. I have to do this a few times before I can give it any throttle without stalling. Once the bike warms up enough it runs completely fine and I can kill it and crank it like it should.

Opinions?

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've searched for similar issues but I can't seem to find anything similar. Everyone seems to have problems starting when warm due to bad rod bearings but nothing on starting from cold.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I had this problem a couple of times. Thought maybe it was crappy gas. Went for a good ride and greased everything and seems fine now.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I mostly want to be sure this isn't a sign of something that needs to be resolved before something major goes wrong. Or if it is an easy fix I would like that taken care of as well

·
Registered
557 Posts
Mine did that exactly, was the fuel pump, I'd start it about 7 time until it would finally idle without stalling, I was running at like 28psi of fuel when it should 51-52 I think

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Definitely need to change the pump. Went on a ride today and later in the day the bike started running bad. When I get on the throttle in gear the bike just falls on it's face but if it is in neutral I can rev it to whatever rpm I want.

Is their a cross reference part that is cheaper than the BRP pump and what kind of job is it to change?

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do the 2011s have an inline filter? That could be the culprit if so. I don't have a pressure gauge so no way to check the actual pressure

·
Registered
557 Posts
My 2011 doesn't have an inline filter, I can guarantee it's the pump though, had all those symptoms when mine was bad

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Somebody told me to try changing the spark plugs so I try that first.

How hard of a job was changing that pump?

·
Registered
557 Posts
I also changed the plugs before the pump, didn't do anything.. I had the pump replaced under warranty though, I don't think it's a hard job, it's easy to access it seems on my 2011

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Checked fuel pump without a gauge this morning and it will shoot across my shop. Seems to be fine. I'm thinking it is the exhaust giving me the problem now. When I swamped the bike, it got full of mud so I am going to cut the end off and take the baffles out and clean out any mud/carbon build up. Bike runs great without any muffler. Lol. The neighbors likes that I'm sure ;)

·
Registered
933 Posts
>>>Checked fuel pump without a gauge this morning and it will shoot across my shop. Seems to be fine.

30 PSI will do that. I wouldn't assume it's fine. This is a fuel injected motor; pressure matters.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Bike runs fine without muffler as well. Already cut the end and gutted the spark arrestor and first baffle. Going to weld it back up tomorrow and ride it and check it all out. If no good, I'll change pump. Ive been wanting to do this to the stock exhaust anyway. I'm pretty certain it is the exhaust though. You wouldn't believe how clogged with mud it was!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts