Can-Am ATV Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yet another one, I've read probably 10 threads with guys mentioning problems with their fuel pump.

So I just bought my bike 2 days ago and it's a 2009 Outlander 800r XT. (Actually on the vin plate it says it was manufactured on 2008/07.

So my friend has an outlander 800 aswell, 2006. He's got a dual exhaust, rack mounted radiator and a custom snorkel kit with a programmer, and he just completely pull away from me on a straight line like nothing, 3-4 bike lengths in just a few seconds.

My quad seems to be starving for fuel or something, I cleaned the air filter, changed both spark plugs, drained all the fuel to make sure there was no water in it, bled the fuel lines, put some injector cleaner in a brand new tank of gas and it still runs sluggish / not responding very well..

Our machines are very similar, except mine is newer with less mileage on it. I have an HMF pipe on it and a CanAm Twin-Air Filter and a Power Commander III (With the HMF + K&N Map on it and default on-the-fly settings)..

What are the problems related to my bike being sluggish could it be:

Fuel Pump Going?
Fuel Regulator Plugged?
Fuel Filter Plugged?
Clogged Injectors?
All of the above?

If so, can i use the AIX E8213 fuel pump?

I also would like to know about the fuel filters, is there one before, one after? None?

Can I install a fuel regulator, if so is there a DIY for that? Part numbers?

Please help!

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
Yet another one, I've read probably 10 threads with guys mentioning problems with their fuel pump.

So I just bought my bike 2 days ago and it's a 2009 Outlander 800r XT. (Actually on the vin plate it says it was manufactured on 2008/07.

So my friend has an outlander 800 aswell, 2006. He's got a dual exhaust, rack mounted radiator and a custom snorkel kit with a programmer, and he just completely pull away from me on a straight line like nothing, 3-4 bike lengths in just a few seconds.

My quad seems to be starving for fuel or something, I cleaned the air filter, changed both spark plugs, drained all the fuel to make sure there was no water in it, bled the fuel lines, put some injector cleaner in a brand new tank of gas and it still runs sluggish / not responding very well..

Our machines are very similar, except mine is newer with less mileage on it. I have an HMF pipe on it and a CanAm Twin-Air Filter and a Power Commander III (With the HMF + K&N Map on it and default on-the-fly settings)..

What are the problems related to my bike being sluggish could it be:

Fuel Pump Going?
Fuel Regulator Plugged?
Fuel Filter Plugged?
Clogged Injectors?
All of the above?

If so, can i use the AIX E8213 fuel pump?

I also would like to know about the fuel filters, is there one before, one after? None?

Can I install a fuel regulator, if so is there a DIY for that? Part numbers?

Please help!
The 06s are faster off the line. Your problem could simply be the tuning. I would start there. Try unplugging the tuner an see how it runs. I would also weld in o2bungs and have dual cylinder tune done. If you are going to pull the tank to clean the sock I would replace the pump.for the $20 it's not worth the time to pull it again. JMO the 8213 is the right pump. If I remember right you only have the sock and no filter. Search 800r fuel pump and got wakes thread gives you a step by step install and cleaning. Have you checked your fuel pressure you should hold 51. For the injectors run some sea foam through. If you don't have a filter I would add one. No reason to add a fuel regulator if your not running a high pressure pump.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply, I just went to the dealer and checked my fuel pressure with the mechanic (for free which was great), I only had 20psi of fuel pressure when like you said it's supposed to be 51psi.. I got a new pump going to install it this afternoon.. I got the whole assembly since it was $290CDN at napa for just the pump (AIX E8213 / ACDELCO EP392). I got the whole assembly with a new regulator for 373$ at the dealer.. Also got an inline fuel filter from an 08 to put after the pump..

I'm going to change the pump this after noon and let you guys know!

Also, i talk to the mechanic and he mentioned throwing a 650 Helix for 47$ and told me to take the programmer out saying that's probably what wore out the pump in the first place. In a way i understood his reasoning, he said why push more fuel in in the same size bore with same size injector.

Yes, i know the engine will run a bit leaner with my filter and the HMF pipe however not enough to make a difference i don't think..

All right, well I'm going to go install this new pump and update you guys after!

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
I don't agree with him on wearing the pump out I think it's more of a problem not having a good filter before the pump a lot of pumps are going without a tuner on them also don't agree with his theory that running lean is ok there are to many factors to figure in to just run blind I would find someone who can set your AF mixtures correctly or buy your own 02 sensors. The filter you can buy at the auto parts for a fraction of bro price you can also get the pump thre for around $70 or eBay for $20 just need to be car file cutting the corrugated fuel line just cut a little at a time until it goes off use high torque hose clamps or the fuel injecting clamps especially in the tank don't want to have to pull it over a clamp if they replace the whole unit take your old one the corrugated fuel line is hard to find

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just a quick update i changed the whole assembly and she runs like a freakin dream. Fuel gauge works again too! The tank was absolutely clean and so was the filter on the pump. Installed the new vent line that came with the pump seems like the old one i had got half ripped off somehow. Anyways, i'm super happy it's like night and day, she catwalks on demand :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ok need help ASAP please!! 08 outlander was running rough, did a pressure test and it was at 40 psi full throttle and ran ok but at half throttle is was 35 psi and ran bad So I change out the fuel pump. Got it from O'Reillys part number e8213 but it in and did another test and it's reading 95-100 psi now. Why? Suppose to be only 50-51. Will running it at 100 psi hurt anything ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.