Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard of problems with gas getting into the oil on a 2018 outlander 850 max? It doesn't idle a lot.

·
Registered
267 Posts
It happens especially if you take short trips. If you take a nice long ride it will probably all be gone. It will burn off in the crankcase.

·
Registered
261 Posts
It happens especially if you take short trips. If you take a nice long ride it will probably all be gone. It will burn off in the crankcase.
My bikes carbureted and runs a bit rich (not enough to foul plugs) but I sometimes get gas In my oil. If I let it warm up before I go I never have a problem with it, just give it a few minutes. If it's alot of gas that you can really smell just take a fuel line and slowly suck oil into the line, plug the end with your tongue and blow it out into a oil pan, do this for a few hundred ml then refill with fresh oil. I've done this before and it's not the safest idea but I didn't want to make a mess and it worked. don't do what I do, it may work but it's not the safest (nobody wants a mouth full of oil).

·
Registered
261 Posts
Oh, and every motor is going to have some sort gas in the oil, the rings cant seal everything and the rings dont go around the whole piston as they have gaps in them letting gas vapours through.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I've read of injectors sticking/overfueling, and gassing the oil as a result, but I'd have to think you'd notice the drivability issues that would occur if that was happening.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It drives fine but the oil is thin with gas. The dealer has checked it out and can't figure it out. It's kind of a bummer because my 800 never did this and was driven the same.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Haven't heard anything like that happing on a stock bike unless there is injector problems. i have heard of it happening if you have a fuel controller or an ecm reflash that the fuel was adjusted on. i have a reflash that adds much more fuel but it was programmed that way, after i added a 51mm Tb and opened up the air box more it went way because i started burning the excess fuel. if its a minimal amount it will burn off while riding, excessive idling can make it worse. i use to keep a straw on me when it first started happening so i could take out the excess, i would put it in the fill area and use my finger over the opining of the straw and take out as much as i need to, so it wasn't over filled, didn't take long to figure out i needed more air in to burn it. the blinky boxes and power commanders can fail, so if you have one i would disconnect them and see if your problem goes away. also check your air filter and make sure its clean and or not over oiled, half of my problem was i over oiled my air filter and that restricts air flow.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not sure what it is. Dealer checked the injector and felt it was good. They checked the ecm and said everything there looks fine but its still doing it and apparently only on one cylinder. Pretty bummed out that this issue can't be fixed. Its a stock unit never had any mods. I don't know if they checked compression/leakdown.

·
Registered
261 Posts
If fuel maybe finding its way into the chamber when off somehow then going past the rings when sitting? My neighbors VW vans fuel pump was left on overnight and the next day the oil was 90% gas. It doesn't take long for it to get past the rings.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Oh it's fuel injected, I keep thinking everything is carburated! It would have to be from the injector if it's filling the cylinder when it's off. The only thing I can think about is a stuck injector or the injector is open when off and the fuel runs out of it while sitting.

Something you could try is taking a picture of your dipstick before a ride, then after the ride to see if it's gone up, then the next morning check it. Then you can figure out when it's happening.

Also, maybe the computer is making it run rich because a sensor is reading wrong or gummed up with something? My old Honda ran rich and it still ran awesome but got quite a bit of fuel in the gas.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
If you think an injector is partially sticking with the ignition off , let it sit overnight after you run it .
In the morning, disconnect the fuel line . Fuel should erupt. If not , it's bleeding into a cylinder.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts