Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I have a 2007 outlander 650 Can-Am STD, and having trouble with it...the problem is...gas is leaking into the oil, when i remove the dip stick to check the oil level, i smell that it is contaminated with gasoline and filling up :0headscratch:. i've changed the front cylinder head front, installed new valves and valve seals, valve springs and all, cam shaft, both pistons and adjusted the valves like the intake valve clearance to 0.10 and the exhaust to 0.15, and timed the chain as followed from my service manual. also changed the cylinder head gaskets, cylinder head cover gasket and the paper gasket on both cylinders 1 and 2. replaced the fuel injectors, throttle bypass valve, air filter, fuel filter, fuel pump, changed the oil and filter, put fresh gas, refilled and bleeded the glycol system.
now that all is replaced with new, all else fails, still getting gas into the oil, and i still have to hold the throttle a little to get it started. i have to change the oil several times less than 1/2 a day, and will not reach full speed, my top speed now is like at 35mph full throttle. Man what a waste of time and $ for me to wait all summer to get it goin back to normal again! still can't pin point what the problem really is at, has any1 have an idea bout the problem? i've spent too much time trying to figure this out since this happened last year. :tools1:

·
Premium Member
18,462 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I will move this to the Outlander section for more hits.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Wow thats alot of work. I had to read it 3 times and will probably read it again. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you did all this work because it was getting fuel in the oil? Or did you do all this work and started getting fuel in the oil?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
was running just fine before, but later started that problem, i've read alot about same problems what others are having on some forum sites trying to find the answer, i've seen its the fuel pump, but i don't think that solved the problem cause i've installed a new one, called the dealer, told me maybe the fuel injectors are bad, so ordered new ones, changed em, nope..figured might be the gaskets, hmm...changed the pistons, still same, ah man! pretty soon the whole engine will be rebuild, and would be funny the problem is still there. but sooner or later i guess i'll figure it out, maybe just need to get new valves for the rear. smell gas comin out thru the exhaust pipe, think the exhaust valves are not seating right, might just have to adjust.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Is it running on both cylinders or just one? Are the spark plugs wet when you take them out? Is it possible the breather for the fuel tank is connected to the air intake or air box?

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Is it running on both cylinders or just one? Are the spark plugs wet when you take them out? Is it possible the breather for the fuel tank is connected to the air intake or air box?
x2, find out which cylinder is causing the problem. Should have atleast 1 wet spark plug a guy would think. Do a compression test if you can.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes both are running, both plugs are kinda wet, but i'm thinking i need to take the crankcase apart and change the crankcase gaskets, possibly shrunk and crack'd causing that leak from overheating, and while apart, could change out the reed valve and stop valve piston and oil seals. and you should remember well from my experience, change your oil and filter regularly. i'm all new to this can-am engine and gettin to know the engine just by reading the service manual. yup and will check for pressure and see what happens from there.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Reed valve? This is a outlander right? 4 stroke? Reed valves are on 2 strokes, arn't they? I would have to look closer at the system but I belive the only way the fuel can get down to the oil is past your rings or through your valve seals. Either way a compression test should help get you in the right direction.

·
Registered
354 Posts
yes both are running, both plugs are kinda wet, but i'm thinking i need to take the crankcase apart and change the crankcase gaskets, possibly shrunk and crack'd causing that leak from overheating, and while apart, could change out the reed valve and stop valve piston and oil seals. and you should remember well from my experience, change your oil and filter regularly. i'm all new to this can-am engine and gettin to know the engine just by reading the service manual. yup and will check for pressure and see what happens from there.
What has any of these parts got to do with gas in the oil. You have to start with the basics, compression, spark and fuel supply. Don't just keep throwing parts at it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
if you look under crankcase, you'll see where the reeds are installed, together with the piston stop valve, and yes my sparks are good, i still think its either the crankcase gaskets and take the valves apart and clean em. and try the compression test, use a soapy spray bottle and see what happens from there. on these outty's, when takes apart, replace gaskets.

·
Registered
457 Posts
man it sounds like u are over fueling either the injectors r hangin open or they they r being comanded to
im not sur but mabee high fuel preasure

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
man it sounds like u are over fueling either the injectors r hangin open or they they r being comanded to
I think I agree with this. As stated on page 1 may be a ecm problem. I belive you said you replaced the injectors. Have you done a fuel pressure check? Maybe a faulty fuel pressure regulator. Very curious for when/if I ever run into this problem. Good luck:tools1:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yea, i've heard even they've sent new injectors, they'd be still faulty. i don't kno bout this> take the spark plugs out, turn key on, hold throttle at full, press and hold the start for 20 sec, then release throttle. i'm not really sure, maybe have to get new injectors, send these back and get new ones. i'll have to chk on the ecm. might have somethin wrong. parts parts parts! this is gettin frustrating. i like this ride, cause its comfortable to ride, when it was powerful. but now...i have no idea...when i turn the vehicle off, i hear like something is still on, like liquid still flowing on the front.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Have you checked your compresion or your fuel pressure yet?
man i wish i had all those tester tools here, we have to order them. that sucks! here in a village we have to send out our rides to get repaired, but that is too expensive, which i don't want to send it out and spend thousands just for a pressure test..i guess i'll just have to order which ever i need to get the tests done. or just maybe sell the ride. or just trade it in for a new engine. too much work for the outty's. and seem alot more problems. rides these days ahh? but fun to ride.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Where abotus in alaska are you from? I am assuming alaska. Maybe we can help. It looks like youve put to much money in already. From the sounds of it you need to do some tests and find the problem or atleast norrow it down. It could be somthing youve already fixed or somthing over looked. It is strange that nobody has had this problem yet.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Where abotus in alaska are you from? I am assuming alaska. Maybe we can help. It looks like youve put to much money in already. From the sounds of it you need to do some tests and find the problem or atleast norrow it down. It could be somthing youve already fixed or somthing over looked. It is strange that nobody has had this problem yet.
yeah i live here in Hooper Bay, Alaska, there's no can-am mechanic where u can bring your ride to have it tested, no software B.U.D.S so i can test the ecm, have to order our own which maybe i can do, i think i'll just take the ecm off and send it to the dealer and have em see what the problem is, there is a few ppl here too have problems with there can-am, one has the same as i do, and the others i'm not sure. at least i've learned from my mistakes and gettin to kno this ride just by reading the service manual i've purchased and downloaded from tradebit.com, too much to buy the manual from the dealer.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Yup that is way up there. You ever meet the guys off deadliest catch? LOL Maybe we can find some one with some testing tools in the area for you. Not lookin good though.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts