Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking for a more cost-friendly (cheap) alternative to the notorious Canam Maverick belt and purchased the Gates Carbon after reading dozens of recommendations of this forum. That belt is garbage! I live in Alberta Canada and mainly ride in the winter months and ride through 1-3 feet of new snow (I use both low and high range depending on how fast we're riding). I have now blown 2 Gates Carbon belts both with less than 300kms each on them. These belts don't last anywhere near as long as the Maverick belts I used to use. I will be switching back to the Mav belts. Those Gates belts might be 1/2 the price but spending 1-2 hours crawling around on a frozen lake or snow covered ground changing a belt and holding up your buddies riding time isn't worth it..... at all. And Canam..... perhaps engineer your machines to be more user friendly when it comes to swapping out belts. It's ridiculous how much crap needs to come off to remove the clutch cover.

Reactions: xsever and Born2atv

·
Super Moderator
1,309 Posts
Yes the carbon belts are junk and crack in very few miles. The redline is much better. What machine you driving? I dont remove anything but the cover on any outlanders I work on which range from 06 outtys to brand new ones.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,309 Posts
It does take some finagling to get it off if you don't remove footwell but it is possible.

Reactions: berick

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
On my 2014 1000 XT Outlander , I put 150 miles on my Gates Carbon and I decided to check out how it was doing. Needless to say I'm glad I went through the time to tear it apart because all the webs were cracked. It also was damaging the sides of the clutches. IMO it is way too hard and is not worth the savings. I am lucky and never blown a belt, I went back to BRP belt that was made for my ATV and never look back.

·
Nobody Special
2020 Outlander XMR 1000r Max
1,361 Posts
Just get the G-Boost WBB302 belt and be done with the junk. That is what I did.

·
Banned
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes the carbon belts are junk and crack in very few miles. The redline is much better. What machine you driving? I dont remove anything but the cover on any outlanders I work on which range from 06 outtys to brand new ones.

I have a 2017 Outty 1000R XT-P as in my sig. Sure you can yank that cover off with a lot of finesse in a shop or garage with no problems but outside at nigh with linited light, in the cold and snow is another job entirely. I'm going to do some cutting tomorrow to the footwells though so this isn't such an epic job in the field next time.

Reactions: Born2atv

·
Banned
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just get the G-Boost WBB302 belt and be done with the junk. That is what I did.
And whereabouts do you live? Riding trail in warm climates is a lot different than out here in the winter months which is how we ride. Most of our riding is pinned in low range pushing 2-3 feet of fresh snow. These machines work like a bugger where we ride and the only belt that has taken that abuse so far has been the old 212 Maverick belt. I tried to cheap out and bought 2 Gates Carbons for 1/2 the price because everyone claimed they were the bomb. Well.... they definitely blow up! Lol

·
Super Moderator
1,309 Posts
I have a 2017 Outty 1000R XT-P as in my sig. Sure you can yank that cover off with a lot of finesse in a shop or garage with no problems but outside at nigh with linited light, in the cold and snow is another job entirely. I'm going to do some cutting tomorrow to the footwells though so this isn't such an epic job in the field next time.
Can't see your sig on Tapatalk.

·
Registered
2021 outlander 850 MAX XTP
699 Posts
Looks like freewill
And whereabouts do you live? Riding trail in warm climates is a lot different than out here in the winter months which is how we ride. Most of our riding is pinned in low range pushing 2-3 feet of fresh snow. These machines work like a bugger where we ride and the only belt that has taken that abuse so far has been the old 212 Maverick belt. I tried to cheap out and bought 2 Gates Carbons for 1/2 the price because everyone claimed they were the bomb. Well.... they definitely blow up! Lol
looks like freewill lives way up north in Alaska

·
Banned
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks like freewill

looks like freewill lives way up north in Alaska

If he's in Alaska.... he'd know all about snow and cold then. I will definitely give that Gboost belt a try then.

·
Registered
159 Posts
If you guys read the Gates spec and recommendation the carbon belt isn’t rated for machines 850cc+… they recommend the redline belt.

Sounds to me like an application error.

·
Super Moderator
1,309 Posts
It doesn't matter what machine it is on. Within 1000 miles they crack and the top layer bulges up and falls off.

Reactions: berick

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Gunny9 runs tracks on his ATV way up in the mountains of Utah. He did some trimming on his ATV so that if he is out in the frozen Winter months it is easier to remove the belt cover if you should blow a belt. He has some pretty good videos too.

·
Nobody Special
1,361 Posts
Fairbanks Alaska. Waist deep snow.

This video from a year ago knee deep snow.

·
Banned
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you guys read the Gates spec and recommendation the carbon belt isn’t rated for machines 850cc+… they recommend the redline belt.

Sounds to me like an application error.
Lol.... when I bought those belts that disclaimer was nowhere to be seen. It was considered their "best" belt. Convenient it's listed now though after they come out with the Redline series.

·
Banned
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Gunny9 runs tracks on his ATV way up in the mountains of Utah. He did some trimming on his ATV so that if he is out in the frozen Winter months it is easier to remove the belt cover if you should blow a belt. He has some pretty good videos too.

I actually just saw a video where the fella did this. I'm going to be taking that piece of plastic off the side panel and trim the floorboards a bit tomorrow. It saves a ton of time if a guy can get straight to the clutch housing.

·
Banned
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Nobody Special
1,361 Posts
I notched my floorboard plastic so I can get my T30 etra long driver in on the bottom bolts. Makes for easy belt change in the field without having to remove skid plates and floorboards.

·
Registered
2018 Outlander 6x6
192 Posts
I'm able to use a 1/4" impact universal with a 8mm magnetic socket along with a 6" extension to reach my bolts after just a little trimming. I think it's worth doing, makes it go pretty fast. Fortunately my stock belt has held up pretty good so far. I only use my machine a few trips in the winter for some ice fishing because I don't have tracks. I sure would like a set because wheelers don't do very well in snow! haha

1 - 20 of 32 Posts