Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I’m finding myself changing the gear box oil for the first time (2020 650 XT) because the service technician “ran out of time” and the dealer still took my money.

I have the service manual which says to put the bike level, which I did using a 4 foot level on the frame. It says the gear box oil level should be to the bottom of the oil fill plug. When I removed this plug it definitely had way more than the service manual says should be in it. Am I doing something wrong? Was it over full from factory? Please help because I really don’t want to under fill…

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
4,788 Posts
Don't overthink it

More than likely, the factory pre-filled that gearbox during final assembly while it was out of the bike and laid on its side. Now that it's level in the machine, the oil appears overfull. We've all gone back and forth over "specified quantities", but just watch any video you can find, on a transmission, differential, transfer case, PTO, etc, and show me one that actually measures the quantity the user squeezes in.

Every last one I've ever seen, fills till it trickles out of the fill hole, and puts the plug in.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't overthink it

More than likely, the factory pre-filled that gearbox during final assembly while it was out of the bike and laid on its side. Now that it's level in the machine, the oil appears overfull. We've all gone back and forth over "specified quantities", but just watch any video you can find, on a transmission, differential, transfer case, PTO, etc, and show me one that actually measures the quantity the user squeezes in.

Every last one I've ever seen, fills till it trickles out of the fill hole, and puts the plug in.
thanks for the reality check. I’m totally overthinking it.

Ask me to code up these forums from scratch; done. Ask me to buildcool shit with wood and metal; done. Ask me to do basic mechanical things; confidence zero 😅

·
Registered
2016 Outlander 850 Max XT SOLD soon shopping far a 2022 !!
179 Posts
I do everything myself like lots of us. I Enjoy it, it's relaxing for me and I get to know my ride very good and I'm able to inspect everything at the same time like I want to. I liked to baby my ex-ride.
Can't wait to order my 2022 :p
Deposit even given !!

good luck and as I did 5 years ago not nowing anything on ATVs, being a handy guy, there is great info on this WEB site and lots of very experienced guys ( not all of them 🤫) that will help you.

good luck and enjoy
Luc
Canada

Reactions: leefromcanada

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do everything myself like lots of us. I Enjoy it, it's relaxing for me and I get to know my ride very good and I'm able to inspect everything at the same time like I want to. I liked to baby my ex-ride.
Can't wait to order my 2022 :p
Deposit even given !!

good luck and as I did 5 years ago not nowing anything on ATVs, being a handy guy, there is great info on this WEB site and lots of very experienced guys ( not all of them 🤫) that will help you.

good luck and enjoy
Luc
Canada
Thanks. I’m thinking I’m going the same route on this rig now. Honestly this is the first time in 16 years that I have had a qualified technician service my atv. I figured with this brand new bike I would make sure it was well taken care of by someone who knew what they were doing, but my recent experience has given me a bad taste, so here I am now also replacing brake pads after only 800km, and likely garage products bushing kit next month because these machines “are made for trail riding”. Apparently in the can am universe trails aren’t suppose to have rocks and stumps and roots.

I have to give it to Kawasaki on this. 15 years and brakes were still good, zero grease points and bushings still good.

I love this rig, but feeling a little disappointed right now.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Don't !!
Did you buy it new ?

I had bought my 1st used 1500km and I did replace those exact same parts with GP and EBC. Then being very maintenance freak, never replaced a parts the following 8000km. Even with bing bang trails 😉

it's a GREAT machine !

take care
Luc

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don't !!
Did you buy it new ?

I had bought my 1st used 1500km and I did replace those exact same parts with GP and EBC. Then being very maintenance freak, never replaced a parts the following 8000km. Even with bing bang trails 😉

it's a GREAT machine !

take care
Luc
👍
Yep, it is bought new. I can’t find EBC SV for 2020 model. Not sure if they have changed or product listings are not updated or what is going on.

I’m going for whatever nonsense the canam metallic brakes are. Likely be brake shopping again in a few months!

·
Registered
179 Posts
I had bought these on my 2016
2x FA617R and 1x FA618L
When I sold my ride they had 7000km on them and more than 3/4 of meat left.
As soon as I get my 2022, this is my first on my to do list.

Luc

Reactions: BombardierBomb
1 - 10 of 10 Posts