Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well its that time to change the leaky seal on my 650 Outlander. I have read a bunch of posts regarding this I just have a couple questions. What parts need to be ordered to complete the job? Looks like I can order the oil seal and O ring but there looks like a sleeve that goes with the O Ring that can not be ordered. It looks similar to the wear ring that is replaced when you do the seal on the Differentials. Is the sleeve necessary or do you guys just replace the oil seal and O ring? One last thing how are you guys getting the oil seal out?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Assuming it's similar to the gearbox on the 1000, you just need the o ring and seal. You shouldn't need the distance ring although I thought they were available to order. Goop up the inner parts of the seal and oring too with gear oil or maybe super lube or else it will leak again soon.

Here's a link on making a seal installer
https://www.google.com/amp/www.instructables.com/id/Crankshaft-seal-installer-tool/?amp_page=true

This is one I made for the counter shaft on can am gearboxes

Edit: overlooked you last quest: you can buy picks and hooks that are mounded in handles that look like screwdriver handles. Those work good. A seal puller is good too.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome thanks for the help. The seal installer looks a lot like the one I made to press a crank seal on my Skidoo. I will have to double check the bolt size.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yeah. You're welcome.

The counter shaft bolt size on the large gearboxes is 10mm 1.50 pitch. I'm not sure if the smaller gearboxes use the same size or not although I suspect they do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts