Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can my gearbox spew oil out of the breather tube when the oil is at the correct level ?

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,220 Posts
I'll bite- how?

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll bite- how?
Gearbox fluid ( Valvoline 75 - 140 full synthetic ) came out brown after maybe 300 miles of riding .
The rear pipe is awfully close to the top of the gearbox.
Is it a coincidence that I'm still trying to figure out why the exterior of this engine ( especially the pipes ) is , suddenly running very hot ? Is the pipe that hot that its cooking the lube all of a sudden?
Been riding this thing over 6 years and now I notice alot of engine heat .
Cooling system is fine , fan comes on normally , no codes and the pump is moving coolant .

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,220 Posts
That's an entirely plausible possibility, heat's about the only thing that would cause gear oil to expand......

Million dollar question is is it some tolerance or tolerances in the gearbox causing the elevated temps? Or as you questioned- the rear exhaust pipe.

If we thought ahead of these things, lol, we could get a "normal" operating temp on our diffs and gearboxes, to compare to whatever you're experiencing now....

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The whole engine area has gotten hotter in the last 5 or 6 rides .
I am doing nothing differently than I have in the last 6 years.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pulling the heads this week .
I pulled the plugs and have quite a bit of carbon on the bottom edges , I can only assume the tops of the slugs and lower valve stems as well as the cc's surfaces are like this too .
Maybe causing preignition ?

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
...and the gearbox lube was completely free of filings / shavings / metal.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,220 Posts
..... I got nothing......

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pulled the pipes last night , nothing unusual inside although a little black .
Going to see if I can peer into the exhaust ports with a flashlight and the phone after work ....

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Following

Reactions: Bonzo

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Following

Well , here we go :
I think I found the problem .
I pulled the plugs & pipes , put the front slug @ TDC & sprayed some Seafoam Deep Creep down the plug hole . When some came drooling out the exhaust port , the little lightbulb whent on . ( Seafoam Deep Creep really does soften carbon ) !
Looks like the exhaust valves were a little tight holding them off the seat transferring the combustion process right into the pipes .
This is the front slug & head .

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,220 Posts
Nice

Filed away for potential future use....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts