Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok went to dealer today to get some 75w 140 xps for the gearbox and he said they don't recommend that anymore for the 500. He sold me two little bottles of xps chaincase oil. He said the 75w 140 was for the 800 and 1000 but not the 500 anymore.

Anyone hear of this?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've always used 75w90 synthetic as I use it in my truck diffs it's synthetic and it will never get that hot to justify the 140 heat rating. I've never had an issue. I have a 2013 650XT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok I drained the oil and there was a fair amount of the metal sledge on the magnet but there was also about 5 tiny pieces of metal about sand size. Is this normal to find this? I know the sledge is normal but tiny bits? I stuck a magnet in the drain hole and no chucks were found.
Help please!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok I drained the oil and there was a fair amount of the metal sledge on the magnet but there was also about 5 tiny pieces of metal about sand size. Is this normal to find this? I know the sledge is normal but tiny bits? I stuck a magnet in the drain hole and no chucks were found.
Help please!
Also I lifted the Atv in air put it in neutral, "almost high" and "almost low" manipulating the shift lever and hand spun the back wheels with plugs out and no oil, all sounded like a good even gear mesh, no skips or crunching so should be ok I think

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok went to dealer today to get some 75w 140 xps for the gearbox and he said they don't recommend that anymore for the 500. He sold me two little bottles of xps chaincase oil. He said the 75w 140 was for the 800 and 1000 but not the 500 anymore.

Anyone hear of this?
2015 shop manual still says 75w 140 for the 500

1 - 6 of 6 Posts