Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 outlander 650 xt and the front shocks are blown out. Not looking to spend to much. I'm looking for a decent affordable replacement or am I better off going stock? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
740 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
^that would be ideal but the fox shocks kit available through can am is a great improvenent over stock, and if your dealer isnt too cheap you can get a 10-20% discount on em

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
^that would be ideal but the fox shocks kit available through can am is a great improvement over stock, and if your dealer isn't too cheap you can get a 10-20% discount on em
The shocks are better then the stock shocks there is no doubt. The kit is the same shock/spring package as found on the renegade. As I have found out since getting on a Canam, I am an aggressive rider, while the fox shocks are better, they still fade after a couple hours of hard riding. The only fix for that is increasing the amount of oil to help dissipate the heat in the oil, ie, reservoirs.

Also, the rear springs are weaker then stock.

After I installed the upgrade kit on my Max XT, I found with my wife on, we were dragging over everything on the trail that stuck up more the 4 inches. Even riding solo I was hitting a lot of stuff.

I have since swapped the rear springs with the ones of the stock setup, so far it is much improved riding solo and I was able to back the preload off to about 1/2 way on the threaded portion of the shock body. Likely because the spring on the original is a couple inches longer then the upgraded spring.

I have not checked the sag yet since i swapped springs.

Personally, I wish I had gone with elka's or another quality shock with a reservoir, or at least moved up to better quality shock like an elka stage 1.

If you go with the BRP Fox upgrade, swap the rear springs before you install them on the quad.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had the BRP FOX shocks on my 2012 800R for about two years and would not buy them again. Not much gain over factory and earlier this year the fronts began to lock down and really made cornering interesting. I'm sure they are repairable, but I decided to get the Legacy ELKA Stage 3s instead.
Just got back from my first trip with them. They soak up the bumps much better than the FOX, yet still land smooth without bottoming if I decide to jump a 3' ramp.

If you ever get the ELKAs in the future, you will regret not getting them sooner. I know I did...

·
Registered
815 Posts
I put on the Fox shocks from Can Am about 16,000 miles ago. They were better than stock but I still regret not stepping up for Elka's. I'm doing a complete overhaul this winter and the Elka's will be on it. I ride aggressive and the Fox shocks have allways bottomed out.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Are you guys talking about the fox shocks that come on the renegade xxc or does bpr offer a less of quality shock then those?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts