Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 2014 last may, 500xt.

Never snorkeled, sunk, rode hard. Used to scout crop fields for insects. It has never been pulled or has the winch been used.

Tires are the newer titan 589MT.

Serviced timely. But I did put 3200 mi in 9 months.

I have worked on just about anything in my life so far except for helicopters. I am set up to work on and do tackle just about any mechanical job. Farm and construction and heavy truck.

The transmission/gearbox failed. The output seal went out, leaked, bearings went bad, chipped a tooth, busted box, so on.

I am absolutely astounded at how over engineered and complicated these bikes are, to achieve a simple task. Turn four tires, be reliable, ride smooth and provide the used with a feeling of satisfaction.

If the plastic/cosmetic engineering department would think a little, these bikes would be easier to service and part of that is the issue. The difficult access prevents the avg guy from servicing, thus failures.

These bikes are about the most difficult to work on pieces of equipment I have ever seen.

Next: when you consider the cost of operation, it is nearly or even more, than $1/mile.

Consider that when buying one of these beasts.

So, anyone want a 9 month old pristine 500XT with a new transmission, fully serviced and ready to go..

I'll make a heck of a deal. It's going.

Oh, and there was only one gearbox in North America.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Sorry to hear about your misfortune, definitely doesn't sound typical but it does happen. Was the gear box covered or were you out of pocket?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Sorry to hear about the bad luck

I agree with the part that these bikes are nearly impossible to get to just to do maint.

CanAm has been getting a bad rep in my area with warranty etc.

It seems the weakest link on these bikes are the frame and that should be one of the strongest points.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Hey , pullpin I feel your pain , there jet skis are just as bad to work on , no room to do anything in the motor bay , the 1st gen can am seem a lot easier to work on , I feel for the 2nd gen guys that do there own work on them . And yes to many parts and seals between parts that leak and is a pain to replace , specially between the motor and the gearboxes !!!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Sorry to hear but being a mechanic you know that everything will fail. Having owned Suzuki, polaris and can am ...I'd pick can am everytime

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
You must not work on anything new, because automotive is way more difficult to work on. I own my own shop my bike isn't any harder most of time way simpler to repair.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'm seein a lot of issues on canams from atvs to sxs. Even brand new 15's. Like most people say just because it costs the most doesn't mean it's the best! Nice motors wrapped around problems is what I'm learning fast about brp!

·
Registered
567 Posts

Never snorkeled, sunk, rode hard. Used to scout crop fields for insects. It has never been pulled or has the winch been used.

I have worked on just about anything in my life so far except for helicopters. I am set up to work on and do tackle just about any mechanical job. Farm and construction and heavy truck.

The transmission/gearbox failed. The output seal went out, leaked, bearings went bad, chipped a tooth, busted box, so on.

I am absolutely astounded at how over engineered and complicated these bikes are, to achieve a simple task. Turn four tires, be reliable, ride smooth and provide the used with a feeling of satisfaction.

If the plastic/cosmetic engineering department would think a little, these bikes would be easier to service and part of that is the issue. The difficult access prevents the avg guy from servicing, thus failures.

These bikes are about the most difficult to work on pieces of equipment I have ever seen.

Next: when you consider the cost of operation, it is nearly or even more, than $1/mile.

So, anyone want a 9 month old pristine 500XT with a new transmission, fully serviced and ready to go..

It doesn't sound like it's GONE to me as you stated in your title.

·
Registered
40 Posts

I am so happy someone feels the same as I do about servicing CanAm's I have a 2014 800r XT. Service is a joke. People are not going to service this machine. To difficult. Most manufactors want people to do engine oil and filter changes. I would like to see the director of engineering service this machine. I bet it would change.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My complaint isn't with the mechanical design at all.

It is the complexity of the electronics and the plastic garb that t is wrapped in.

As far as the comment about comparing to automotive, you are right.

This is a 800# atv. Small engine, no hvac, emissions, or amenities. Should be simple.

And these bikes are not simple.

From an ag. engineers standpoint here are my thoughts on design.

Problems I see:

Angle of deflection the rear driveshaft runs at.

Access to drain ports for servicing. Slightly larger ports with even tubes with caps to out of the confinement.

The ignition switch definitely needs to be 90degrees to the ground.

HEAT. Under all this plastic is hell on components

The plastic dressing. It sucks, it's sucks to remove, put back on, and will suck to replace when the crap fails from handling with some age/heat.

Lack of use of welded nuts.

Poor under fender protection of headlights

Factory skid plate is a pitiful excuse. My roadside garbage cans are heavier

The brake design and failure to shed debris is catastrophic

The straight cut gears for the 4x4 actuator are silly. This sliding gear coupler setup is weak and prone to failure by design.

Why does an atv need 5 sensors on a transmission? I know what they are there for, but really?

I guess I'm aggravated with this event, but when I bought it, m first concern was, I hope I never have to work on it..

·
Registered
414 Posts
Ok but go get the same year atv in a different brand and then come back to use after another 3,200 miles in 9 months.. I bet you will still have problems and it will still be a pain to work on. Just like working on a jeep from 2000 vs one from 2014 a completely different animal.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Sorry to hear about your issues...but from what I've heard from other brands they have their issues too...maybe u should try a Honda or Yamaha atv? ...they are more reliable but don't have the fun factor.....as far as brp engineering goes, I agree some of their stuff sucks, but the reason their stuff breaks more than other manufacturers is bc BRP is constantly pushing the envelope with new designs, bigger motors, and other new technologies that other manufacturers won't do....

·
Registered
836 Posts
Sorry to hear about your issues...but from what I've heard from other brands they have their issues too...maybe u should try a Honda or Yamaha atv? ...they are more reliable but don't have the fun factor.....as far as brp engineering goes, I agree some of their stuff sucks, but the reason their stuff breaks more than other manufacturers is bc BRP is constantly pushing the envelope with new designs, bigger motors, and other new technologies that other manufacturers won't do....
^^^ this is true^^^

And..... they back it all up with shoddy manufacturing, poor workmanship, negligent quality control, denied warranty claims and the biggest profit margin in the business.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Buy a Honda, they have 1/3 the HP, so they never break. Great machines if you like going 20 mph!

·
Registered
120 Posts
You must not work on anything new, because automotive is way more difficult to work on. I own my own shop my bike isn't any harder most of time way simpler to repair.

I completely agree. I don't find these machines much harder to work on than any new vehicle. Yeah, more difficult than my 02 Prairie, but not THAT difficult by any means. Hell I bought my 1000 XTP more than 2 months ago and have only put on 40 miles so far. But I've put on all kinds of accessories and had most of the plastics off multiple times. I still enjoy working on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk so please excuse my fat finger syndrome.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
The one thing everyone is missing for the most part is these are high performance machines go look at indy car series rigs or nascar every thing goes bad in a few hundred miles, & yes BRP warranty claims suck!!!!! My buddys Polaris breaks all the time, The Japanese bikes last longer for the reason stated they are way under powered & very mundane for the most part, they cant keep up when the goin gets nasty!!!!!

·
Registered
652 Posts
I am by NO means a mechanic and I enjoy tinkering with it. I find the machine interesting and not that hard to work on if you get a service manual, read your particular task a few times prior to and then turn the wrench.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I agree, yes there are some things that are hard to do, involves cut up knuckles and a lot of cursing, but I don't mind working on it. I find it a labor of love.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts