Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, My name Jimmy Griffin from southeast Ga and I just bought a 2006 650 outlander4x4 for my son and im looking for info on the goods and bads of this thing, Im a certified Outboard mechanic of 25 years, so i have diagnostic tools and eqipment to service and repair it, but finding a service manual seems to be more challenging than i first thought. i found the outlander 650 in 2007 but not in 06. any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hi, My name Jimmy Griffin from southeast Ga and I just bought a 2006 650 outlander4x4 for my son and im looking for info on the goods and bads of this thing, Im a certified Outboard mechanic of 25 years, so i have diagnostic tools and eqipment to service and repair it, but finding a service manual seems to be more challenging than i first thought. i found the outlander 650 in 2007 but not in 06. any help would be greatly appreciated.
07 and 06 should be the same.

Common issues:

Timing chain guides being bad.

OEM brake pads wear quickly, replace them with Race Driven pads.

Valve covers leaking due to plastic valve covers warping when it over heats.

Obvious things to check are rear, front, center diff oil and seals.

Check the ball joints and wheel bearings for slop.

Check the frame under the seat for rust or cracking (luckily mine didn't have this issue)

The earlier G1 bikes are more prone to over heating compared to later G1s. So if you plan to mud save yourself some time and relocate the radiator.

Over all though, I have an 08 and it gets abused regularly and has been bullet proof (after fixing, OR making sure all of the above was in working order).

·
Registered
245 Posts
And one more thing, there is a plastic bolt in the center of your magneto cover. Mine was loose when I bought it from the prior owner. Found that out the hard way.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Frame stiffening mod would be good if it hasn't been done already. A search of the forum should come up with it.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Frame stiffening mod would be good if it hasn't been done already. A search of the forum should come up with it.

Before you ride it out of the yard....
Pull it in. Change all of the fluids, adjust the valves,

Do the frame mod. Current price of steel should put the materials around 40 bucks or less. People will tell you that if you don't ride like an idiot, it will be ok.
Wrong. Completely wrong.
You can be riding through tall grass at 15mph, clip a stump and buckle the frame.
Sometimes shit just happens, and the frame mod will prevent the bend. If it does bend, you probably won't want to ride it anymore.

·
Premium Member
3,044 Posts
the 650 did not exist in the 2006 model year(just 400's and 800's). You must have an early 2007 which could have a manufactured date of anytime after about may?/june?/july?/2006 but is classified as a 2007

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Make sure you check the overflow tank cap. There should be a hole no smaller than 1/16". If it's just a pin hole, drill it out or get a new cap from the dealer, it was updated in 2010. Old caps were causing the radiator to overheat.
The CVT intake was updated in 2010 also. It was prone to get water and mud in it. Most people that knew better got the update. You can tell it was updated by the intake coming up into the pod. If the intake is in the left fender exposed like a deuche, you need to fix it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts