Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

In my quest for not cashing out the bank to buy a complete axle just so I will stop breaking the CV Joint cages under minor conditions, I have come across a group buy where we can get Chrome Moly or even better cages & balls built to OEM specs for the Outlander 800. Thus, we can keep existing parts that don't really break & rebuilt the joints ourselves.

I haven't found anyone else that does this for the Outlander 800, although I did find some companies that built the OEM spec chrome moly ones for other brands.

In particular, my initial goal is to get a group buy for 10 front inner cages & balls for a 2008 Outlander 800, which are the guts of part #705400513/14. See below. The buy would not include the race, since this isn't the weak spot. Again, these are being touted as even stronger than Chrome Moly. And the clincher is $75 vs the $400-500 for a non-oem aftermarket axle.

Of course, if other specific 800 cages are needed, we can entertain those too. I believe each cage is different, that is front vs back, & inner vs outer. See part list from BRP parts catalog below. BTW, I believe that the front inner cages are really the same, although the plunging joint is physically longer on 1 side vs the other, which makes it a different part #.

BRP Part Catalogs

705500560 - RH Front Outer CV Joint
705500560 - LH Front Outer CV Joint
705400513 - RH Front Inner Plunging
705400514 - LH Front Inner Plunging

705500869 - RH Rear Outer CV Joint
705500869 - LH Rear Outer CV Joint
705500871 - RH Rear Inner Plunging
705500871 - LH Rear Inner Plunging

Yes, I realize the weak point will just get shifted somewhere else, but I'd say most of our needs would be met if we could just get a better cage. Nothing else has ever broke in any of my CV Joint issues. For the record, I'm not trying to build an axle that can withstand mud-bugging while racing or even pulling heavy loads, just normal trail riding conditions, some mud, some hills, some fun.

Also, I'm running a 1.5" lifted 2008 Outlander 800 Max XT w/29.5x10x12 & 29.5x12x12 on black IPP SS108's, snorkled, HMF Dobeck Optimizer, full skid plates.....2nd owner & lovin' it!!!

·
Registered
561 Posts
I agree, I broke a cage with 27" Mudlite XTRs. I was in 4wd racing in sand. Pretty pathetic.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Imho it's the lifting that kills the birfields. It's the same thing on offroad cars. The axles need to be as straight as possible to maintain the strength.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, so please let me know if you'd be interested in buying.

I can get you the company's info, if you interested. Again, we just need 10 front inner cages to get the deal.

We might be able to get them to add the front outer cages if you need that.

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Birfield joint is the CV joint axle..named after a British company that used to manufacture them for autos and stamp their name on them...

And agreed the straighter you can keep them the more they can take...that is especially important up front....keep the wheels straight ahead under heavy throttle..

But we know straight axle angles aren't always possible in the real world....

·
Registered
752 Posts
burfield would be like the knuckle on the front straight axle of a toyota.
Actually kind of true..the Axle joint is the birfield part,the same basic CV design as used in many vehicles now days running independant suspensions...Toyota just packaged the joint differently,instead of a rubber boot and independant suspension they supported it in a straight axle housing...the basically used a CV joint where other manufacturers were using U-joints..and sealed the joint with a large ball on the end of the housing and wiper seal on the knuckle.

With knuckle removed...plain old CV axle really...

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any buyers??? $75 for chrome moly or better cage & balls.

I can get you the company's info, if you interested. Again, we just need 10 front inner cages to get the deal.

·
Premium Member
4,414 Posts

This is exactly what I need, I have a broken axle laying in the shop.
If I fix it, I'll have a good axle laying in the shop and be out $75. :sad:

Buy 10 yourself and set up shop. :smilietwocents:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
8 cages & balls....

I would take four. I would also like to have for for the rear.
Badride, so to clarify, you want for what year Outlander 800?

4 front inner cages & balls
4 rear inner cages & balls

You can also PM me w/details.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Buyers, here is the company info.

Hello all. ok, I discussed this w/my source & they agreed that the best method would be to just have each of us call them directly to place our order to avoid any confusion or mix-ups. Looks like so far there are 2-3 that are interested. So, instead of just working individually w/each of you, I'll just post the company's info, which they gave me permission to do.

Thanks so much for your interest. I wish you well. If there are any issues, feel free to contact me. Here is the info. I have been working with Jeremy.

Turner Cycles Home
17102 Hwy. 59N Suite C
Humble, TX 77338
Phone: 281-540-2040 / Jeremy
Email: [email protected]
Office Hours: Tuesday-Friday 9am-6pm
Saturday 10am-4pm

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is just a bump & to say that I would appreciate it if you would just log your interest in this group buy, noting exactly what cage & balls you want & from what year Can-AM.

It still would be preferred to call Turner Axle above to place your order. We are just trying to track the interest.

xnks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts