Can-Am ATV Forum banner

Handlebars/steering stuttering then Check DPS then failure

23K views 60 replies 11 participants last post by  CMB 
#1 ·
Howdy gents,

Went for a ride today and halfway through I started feeling the handlebars stuttering so I stopped and indeed the handlebars/steering would stutter at a standstill as I barely tried to steer. As if the DPS was twitching.

I turned the ATV off and removed the front inner fenders to see if the DPS motor was too hot but no. It was warm but nothing alarming.

All connections were strong.

I continued on and could feel the twitching getting worse until I started feeling that the DPS was fighting my inputs.

A bit later, I got the Check DPS warning, the check engine light came on and I lost power steering.

If I turn off the ATV and turn it back on, the check engine light and error message disappear until I drive it a bit and I wrestle with the DPS a bit before they come back on and I lose power steering again.

I checked the battery voltage and it's 12.7V while OFF and 14 while ON. I checked all the connections and they're ok.

I never ever had a warning for the DPS motor being too hot or any of that sort. This is my first problem with DPS.

Pulled the following codes using the cluster (don't have BUDS) :
U0426 - Invalid data received – immobilizer (most likely an old code and unrelated)
P0636 - Power Steering Control Circuit Lo

From what I've read, it's looking like the DPS unit at $840 😭 unless aftermarket options exist.

What do you suggest I do next?

Thanks.

See less See more
#58 ·
When i do aligment. I always strap handlebar to center of course. So it will not move when adjustment is made.. in my use i have toe-out about 2-3mm. If aligment is not right dps unit will "try" center it all time = getting Hot and shut down.. eventually it will be broke..

Reactions: xsever
#59 ·
If aligment is not right dps unit will "try" center it all time = getting Hot and shut down.. eventually it will be broke..
Yes exactly and that's why I had my DPS reset and aligned after I did an alignment last summer.

#60 ·
The DSP unit does not try to reset to the center line of the quad, that is what caster in the alignment does. Same with your car. The DPS tries to recenter to the torque sensor which is what detects if pressure is applied to the handlebars that is different than the direction they are currently moving.

I am not sure how I does it but the torque sensor can detect when you are applying pressure to the bars in either direction that is different than the current path of the front wheels and applies some power to help you. That is why is it called a "torque" sensor. When you try to turn your bars, there is torque (twist) applied to the steering shaft. So if you are going straight and you are not trying to turn the bars (no torque applied to the steering shaft running thru the DPS), the DPS unit is basically doing nothing. Same thing if you have your wheel turned 30 degrees to either direction and you are holding your bars in the 30 degree position, then the DPS is not doing anything in this case either.

What the DPS reset does is says to the circuit, currently there is no pressure being currently applied to the handlebars so set this as the new center of the torque sensor. Because if that is off, then you are correct, the DPS is always trying to add pressure to turn the wheels. It has nothing to do with the alignment of the front end components.

Like I just had mine reset because I was hit and the torque sensor was knocked so far out of alignment that the DPS was always trying to turn it left. There was nothing wrong with the alignment, just the torque sensor was jarred. So I had it reset and now it stays pointed in the direction that I point it in.

#61 ·
I'm just going to throw this out there -

Yesterday I finally got the bike back together after repair/replace the broken foot well, light bar added along with that aluminum shift bracket. Since all the plastic was off, I filled the spray bottle with WD-40 and sprayed everything down heavily - and I mean everything.

I know some say WD isn't a lubricant BUT there was a significant difference in the way the steering controls felt. It was much much easier. I will continue to spray it down in the hopes of taking some of drag out of that system. Just trying to make life a little easier on that power steering motor. I can definitely see the benefits of adding the grease zerks it thoses pivot points. It just MAY extend the life of those components.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.