Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Outlander 850 max XT-P
730 Posts
Mine did this too especially when it was new. I noticed that if I put the key on then push and hold the start button right away it runs for 2 seconds then dies. If I put the key on then just push and release the start button, wait a few seconds for the fuel pressure to build up and the ECU to take b its readings then push and hold the start button it starts and idles much better.

It has gotten much better over time. Im at 28 hours and the first 15 were very mild hours. I also started connecting the BRP battery maintainer so many this is helping too.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Im probably a bad one to ask. Honestly, I changed all my fluids at 10 hrs and then again at 20 hrs then at 50. Is it excessive? Probably :geek:.

I wouldn't wait till 100 hrs. The dealer will do what you ask. Im sure if you say that you would rather not wait that long they will understand.

My thought is, You want to get the break in material out of the motor, trans and diffs as soon as you can. It has nothing to do with "break in oil" persay. Although there is oil with a higher zinc levels that aid in this process I don't think these bikes come with that from the factory but they might. Change it to early and the metal contact points are still "bedding in" so break in material will still be created after the change. Change it too late and those particles float around possibly causing additional wear.

I'm sure other people probably feel strongly about some other method but this is what I do based on may motor builds and rebuilds. It just makes sense in my lame example of a brain.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Mine has done the stalling thing since new also. I thought it was just the break in that helped it but I'm starting to think the full battery was the cure. Now I hit the green button wait 10 or 15 seconds for the fuel pump to run and ecu to read then start it up. It starts and goes right to idle. Idle still drops slightly at the 2 or 3 second mark but it stays running.

I'll disconnect the battery tender for a few days and start it up using the same process as above. If it stalls, I can say with 95% certainty that it's the battery.

To bad we can't program in the high idle function under 35 degrees F.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I haven't forgotten about the test- we just got some snow here and it's been in the teens temp wise. Thanks for being patient. I know, I know - this is the norm for some. Others just take a little time to get acclimated. More power to you northern folks! Anything below 15F is just flat out COLD!!!!

I noticed an improvement just the same :sleep: - giving her time to think about waking up then hold the button.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Sorry for the delay. Yesterday we had a garage door install so I pulled the bike out of the garage and it sat outside 24 hours with the temp ranging from 24F to 33F. The battery tender was not hooked up. The bike started the same as it did when hooked to the tender. The RPMs did drop slightly but it didn't stall. This is with pushing the button and waiting a few seconds then starting.

Next I'll leave the tender off for 2 days and see if there is a difference.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Interesting -
Yesterday i started mine after sitting for over 1 week with the battery tenter hooked up.I pushed the s button and waited 10 or 15 sec then started it .Ihad to start it 5 times before it stayed going.Each time it started harder and when it stayed going it flutterd and did not idle right until about 1 min.
How many hours are on your machine?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts