Can-Am ATV Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outlander Max Limited 1000R ,1985 Honda Big Red,1998 Honda Forman 400
45 Posts
Yesterday i started mine after sitting for over 1 week with the battery tenter hooked up.I pushed the s button and waited 10 or 15 sec then started it .Ihad to start it 5 times before it stayed going.Each time it started harder and when it stayed going it flutterd and did not idle right until about 1 min.

·
Registered
2021 Outlander 850 max XT-P
642 Posts
Interesting -
Yesterday i started mine after sitting for over 1 week with the battery tenter hooked up.I pushed the s button and waited 10 or 15 sec then started it .Ihad to start it 5 times before it stayed going.Each time it started harder and when it stayed going it flutterd and did not idle right until about 1 min.
How many hours are on your machine?

·
Registered
2021 Outlander Xtp 1000r
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
89 hr about 1800km
I'm sitting at about 21 hours and 275 miles currently. I started mine yesterday after sitting for about 3 days. I did the wait 10-15 seconds before pressing the start button and then didn't touch anything to see if it would idle on its own. Started up ran about 2 seconds then stalled. Took 2 more times to get it to start and stay running. I'm not a huge fan of the itc throttle, there's no way it will ever be as responsive as a throttle cable. There's always a slight delay and I find when trying to get on the throttle a bit when first starting maybe it would keep from stalling if there wasn't that slight hesitation in throttle response.

·
Registered
2021 Outlander Max XT 850
8 Posts
Our 2021 850 did this as well. It was most noticeable if it was cold, and the machine would flutter in and out for 30s - 1minute (occasionally dying altogether). We took it into the dealer for the first service and asked about it. The answer from them was to stop putting 91 octane fuel in. I was surprised, but switched to 87 (which is what our manual recommends) after using up what was left in the tank, and then have had zero trouble with it since.

I'd be curious to know what octane fuel people are using who are having trouble and what altitude they're at (we're at 7,500ft, which means the standard grades of gasoline are lower octane than elsewhere).

·
Registered
2021 Outlander Xtp 1000r
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Our 2021 850 did this as well. It was most noticeable if it was cold, and the machine would flutter in and out for 30s - 1minute (occasionally dying altogether). We took it into the dealer for the first service and asked about it. The answer from them was to stop putting 91 octane fuel in. I was surprised, but switched to 87 (which is what our manual recommends) after using up what was left in the tank, and then have had zero trouble with it since.

I'd be curious to know what octane fuel people are using who are having trouble and what altitude they're at (we're at 7,500ft, which means the standard grades of gasoline are lower octane than elsewhere).
I believe your 850 only calls for 87 octane, where as the 1000 specifically says run 91 octane in the manual. Believe me with gas prices I've considered just using regular. To be honest I haven't really had the issue since. I wait longer after initially hitting the start button to bring up the diagnostics and let the fuel pump run and it seems to have been good since.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts