Can-Am ATV Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just recently I've notice that it seems on occasion my 08 outlander 800xt has a hard time starting. I stopped on a hill and was in gear, grabbed the brake to start in gear and it barely fired. Anyone else have this issue? Have a new battery coming this week. has ~3500 miles. If this is the start to a rod bearing as I've seen in some posts?

Thanks for any help in advance. No mods. Plow w/ winch and spot light used for accessories.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Did you ever check / change your spark plugs?

Check your owner manual there is a few simple things to try first and after that start looking at the more complex reasons the bike is giving you trouble.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Mine does it from time to time. I also kept getting a low battery message this last time I rode. Put the battery on the carger and it said it was good but it is the factory battery which is almost 5 years old. I ordered a new one and will get it put on this weekend.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have not changed the plugs. I'll try that. I also have a battery tender jr. that I use when not riding regularly. I broke down today and ordered the Odyssey 680 so maybe this will help as well. When plowing using the winch a lot I constantly get a low battery light and the winch solenoid has issues and will either retract-release, only one or the other, for a while and then just magically start working again. Local can am dealer says he's never heard of it before but I've read quite a few articles on here about this happening.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I would bet you need to disassembl and clean your winch. I found mine would get full of mud and crap to the point it wouldnt turn with out throwing the lo batt message, even with no load on the winch.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I adjusted my valves not long ago. I guess I should check them again. Seems like it's running smooth when it starts. Just takes more than it should to get it going. As far as the winch goes, I replaced it with the Warn RT3000Lb and it still does it with a new winch. I've heard the Solenoid overheats. 2012 1000xt maybe in my future? lol.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I'm assuming it's a bigger issue as I put a new battery in today and it fired right up when it was cold. After running it for about 1/2 hour I shut it off and tried to start it again and it BARELY turned over. Gonna drain the oil tomorrow and see whats to see.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Any help? Drained oil and changed filter. replaced oil with royal purple 5w-30. It starts great. After it warms up it's like theres too much compression to turn it over. get the smell of oil burning sometimes.

·
Registered
37 Posts
starter might be getting warm and then binding up. i.e. al clearnaces are good when starter is cold, but once it's warmed up and the engine cases are warmed, it expands and something binds up somewhere, do you have a pull start on that thing? try and feel a difference between starting fine and when the starter is unhappy.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I forgot to mention. The starter windings could be bad as well. The heat will expand the windings and cause shorts or opens in them. Get it hot and test it. Then when it doesn't want to start. Soak just the starter area if possible with a garden hose for a while and then try it again. Not completely scientific but you might get lucky. but watering your starter is way easier than changing one out, and cheaper. Even our moms can do this. If they like flowers that is....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Burned up the valves and a piston. Also it sucked dirt through the air cleaner which I had a foam filter that was recommended by the dealer. Ended up trading it in for a new atv.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.