Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about taking the family up to Isle Memorial Day weekend for camping and riding. What do you suggest? None of us enjoy the boring wide flat road type of trails which I assume the Soo Line is. Red Top trail looks good. Is that enough for 2-3 days of fun riding? Any other trails to consider? Do you recommend any campgrounds? Thanks!!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Soo line is an old railroad grade, BORING AS HELL. Red top is fun but not big enough for 3 days of riding. Not sure about camping around there.

If you drive another hour north, quadna has camping and an awesome area to ride that is private land and also connects to state trails. It's in hill city which is where they have the highlifter mud nationals in June.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Or you could hit redtop on the way up, ride there all day then up to quadna to camp and another day or two of riding. Hopefully someone else chimes in here, there's probably better options but I haven't done a lot of riding around there. I will be hitting both a couple times this summer though I'm sure

·
Registered
647 Posts
Spider lake is a decent place to ride with camping. Is north of brainerd 45 min or so. Redtop is OK for a couple hrs but not 2-3 days. Like draper said quadna is awesome! Between the private tails and state you won't be bored. The state has several nice areas to ride but most of them can be covered easy in a day. Just depends if you want to camp and stay put or travel around all wknd.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is Quadna the name of a town? Google maps didn't think it was.

·
Registered
647 Posts
No. Its quadna mountain resort, hill city MN. Its south of grand rapids about 20 miles

·
Registered
126 Posts
No, Hill City is the town. Check it on Google map. Quadna is just southeast. Called a "resort" or something. Used to be a ski hill from what I understand. Fun trails with big hills and mud holes. You should definitely go to mud nationals up there in June. That's a good party.

·
Registered
126 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How much riding is available at Quadna? Couple days worth?

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Lots of trails running out of Quadna. About 150 miles worth if I remember right. Red top is a cool trail too. There are lots of offshoots from the soo line in Isle. You end up running 3-5 or sometimes 10 miles of railroad bed to get to the next loop, but it's not all bad. Spider lake is a great place to ride, but not 3 days worth either.

The nemadji state forest area has enough riding for a couple days easy. And if you want to run the railroad bed a bit you can get to lots more places from there too.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Red top is fun to ride with quite a few trails. In fact Aitkin county has a campground on highway 65 with a forest road into Red Top trails. Red top is about 5 miles west of highway 65. There is also another set of trails the South Solana loop which is about 5 miles east of highway 65. It has only been open for a few years and not a lot of people ride it yet. Depending on how fast you ride you can do both of them in one day without

1 - 11 of 11 Posts