Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use a synthetic line. My line spools out from under the winch and goes upward to the fairlead which is a block of aluminum with a hole.
The entrance to the fairlead is rounded as viewed from the front to the atv. The back side of the fairlead is just flat and 90 degree angle. I think when using the winch, the line feeds in on the rounded edge, but as it passes over the back of the fairlead and down to the bottom of the winch spool, it is dragging over the sharp rear edge. There is a lot of winch line residue on the back of the fairlead.
So...
I unspooled the line and kept going and wound the line back in. Obvious the button to feed out the line is now backwards as the winch emptied and then respooled. So the line comes off the top of the winch now which is much more inline with the fairlead.
Concerns:
1) Is winch power same for forward and backwards?
2) Under tension pulling in, line is off the top of the spool instead of the bottom of the spool. I heard this is worse for the bolts holding the winch in the ATV. Torque forces are greater spooling off the top vs. the bottom.
3) Will the break work both directions now that my in and out are reversed.
4) My buttons labeled IN/OUT on the winch button is wrong as is the IN/OUT sticker under the winch button.
5) If I reverse the battery cables on the winch, it would fix the button label issue. Can I simply reverse the battery cables on the winch itself?

Any real issues with leaving it spooled off the top vs. the bottom?
Any issue reversing battery cables on the winch?
Thanks.

·
Registered
743 Posts
What winch you have... everything i have had spools of the top... maby yours got wired backwards

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
743 Posts
i would check all the connections.. they may have reversed the wires running to the winch from the contactor to the winch... Easy fix

·
Registered
Outlander Max X-TP 1000T
5 Posts
Newbie here but I’ve changed out a few ATV winch ropes in the past and most recently yesterday on my brand new Outlander (Can Am O/E winch).

I can confirm that the rope should spool onto the bottom of the winch drum (underwound) when winding in for the reasons already given: torque on mounting bolts minimised; brake designed to operate in one direction only; etc.

I fitted a Warn synthetic rope and Warn Epic hawse fairlead. This fairlead has a rounded surface on both the front and rear faces, and although there is an angle from there to the lower drum surface or rope coil at all times, it’s not chafing at all.

My suggestion would be to replace the fairlead for one with a bevel on both sides.

Some good information here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts