Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 21 Outlander 650 6x6. I have been looking for a set of HD front springs. All the springs I have found are for Outlander models "except 6x6."
Looking up the stock part numbers on the 6x6 and non 6x6 models they are in fact different numbers. Does anyone know what the actual difference is? Will the HD front springs for the Outlander work on the 6x6 models? If not what are people using?

·
Regular Joe
2014 Maverick 1000r
7,278 Posts
Just spit-balling, but the fronts of the machines are identical, no?

So the springs will fit, I'd bet. BRP's hangup must be the working weight rating of the spring, then.

Are they afraid the non-6 spring working rating would make the 6-by suspension too jarring? Spreading the weight out over 4 springs versus 6, if I'm explaining myself quickly clearly, should mean that the std HD springs would be designed to hold more weight, and theoretically could make the 6-by suspension rather "covered-wagon-ish"

Reactions: AK Wheeler

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The front of the machines are identical. What your saying makes sense. The best I can figure is there is more weight transfer to the front due to the extra axle. The front end feels very soft and saggy even with 1.5" spacers and the spring set on the stiffest setting.
I've seen multiple people post they put on HD springs, and it solved this problem. I just wanted to confirm the springs BRP listed as HD were the ones people were using.

·
Registered
2018 Outlander 6x6
214 Posts
I added the HD springs to the front of my 2018 650 6x6. I don't have any way to look up the part number. I bought them through the dealer and it made a very noticeable difference. Not sure if there is a difference with the longer models.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is approximately 0.2" more travel on the 21 compared to the 18. I spoke to my dealer today and was told the HD springs for 2012-2018 will work on the newer models. They have a set in stock so they put them on hold for me. I'll throw them on next week and hopefully this will fix the soft front end problem. I'm sure it will be 100% better. I'll post he results of how it works. The BRP part number for the springs I'm going to use is 715003199 for anyone that is interested.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The HD springs mentioned in my above post did work. The front end is stiffer and there is less preload on the suspension. I'm using 2" lift pucks as well. I gained 1⅞" of height over the stock springs with the same pucks. Hopefully this info will help people with the "soft" front end on their Outlanders.

·
Regular Joe
2014 Maverick 1000r
7,278 Posts
The spring on the left is the HD. The one on the right is stock. View attachment 108005
Well now that's unexpected. So the heavy duty spring is shorter? and visually, unless I'm imagining things, the diameter of the metal itself appears smaller, yet it functions as an "HD" application?

Reactions: xsever

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, that is correct. I was skeptical myself. Pushing down on the stock spring I could collapse it about 1". The HD spring would hardly collapse at all. Visually it looks less "heavy duty" than the stock spring, but seems to perform much more as a HD spring. Possibly it's a higher grade metal, or maybe less wraps equals stiffer spring.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts