Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I have mentioned in other posts, I've been battling the "Hot Seat" issue for the short time I've owned my 2009 Renegade. There have been numerous threads about this on this forum, but very little as far as "proof". Now, I don't have proof that 1 single method works better than the others, but what I do have proof of is that what I did worked.

So, what did I do you may ask? The answer, everything. And, to take it a step further, I took before and after readings after the exact same driving scenario, in very similar weather conditions.

Here is what the improvements did as far as results.
Driving scenario: Driving in Low range around my yard for 20 minutes, below 25 mph. Temperature was between 68-75 outside during both tests.
Heat Readings taken from my Craftsman temp gun, 6-8" away from what I was measuring. I took 3 readings, one after the other, and recorded the highest one.

Before any modifications:
Top of Seat right above exhaust flange for the muffler - 162 degrees
With seat removed, top of upper heat shield - 288 degrees
Radiator upper hose @ the base of radiator - 211 degrees

After modifications:
Top of Seat right above exhaust flange for the muffler - 103 degrees
With seat removed, top of upper heat shield - 196 degrees
Radiator upper hose @ the base of radiator - 171 degrees

As I stated above, I can not pinpoint which modification did the most, but rather, there is a clear reduction in the heat around the seat area.

Here is what I did.
Step 1: Install Hayden 3647 fan controller following same method found in this thread: http://www.can-amforum.com/forums/atv-tech-tips/31196-hayden-3647-install-pics-renegade-800r.html

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Step 2: Exhaust Wrap the entire exhaust, spray with ceramic thermal exhaust wrap coating.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Step 3: Apply reflective heat tape (DEI part# 010408) to inside of both heat shields and bottom of seat.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Good write up with good pictures, really seems like those mods helped lower the temps by a lot!

·
Registered
713 Posts
I pretty much did the same thing on my outlander, including the Hayden. I also put heat barrier on the entire underside of my seat and the inside of both of my side plastics and did the muffler wrap all the way back to the muffler, leaving the springs at the manifold joint exposed. Made a big big difference.

·
Registered
425 Posts
You sir can perform an experiment well !

my humble opinion would be that the most helpful were the exhaust wrap and the duct tape

would you mind linking the ceramic wrap spray you used too?

gj and thanks

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I pretty much did the same thing on my outlander, including the Hayden. I also put heat barrier on the entire underside of my seat and the inside of both of my side plastics and did the muffler wrap all the way back to the muffler, leaving the springs at the manifold joint exposed. Made a big big difference.
I have a muzzy on the way, which is why I didn't wrap the muffler pipe. I will wrap the muzzy pipe.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I have a muzzy on the way, which is why I didn't wrap the muffler pipe. I will wrap the muzzy pipe.

And cover up their cool finish and logo? That could be considered 'muffler abuse'

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

And cover up their cool finish and logo? That could be considered 'muffler abuse'
Just the pipe, not the canister.

Yeah, I wouldn't do that to the muzzy, it's too pretty.

·
Registered
425 Posts
You sir can perform an experiment well !

my humble opinion would be that the most helpful were the exhaust wrap and the duct tape

would you mind linking the ceramic wrap spray you used too?

gj and thanks
HT Silicone Coating 010301 | Purchase DEI, CryO2, Ny-Trex, Boom Mat & SPA Turbo Products | Design Engineering, Inc. - Thermal Performance Products
cool, now I remember why I didnt coat my DEI titanium
DEI HT Silicone Coating not required

(not that I could get my hands on it anyway...being in the middle of nowhere...heheh)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Just curious, but don't you guys have problems putting wrap on the exhaust pipes? I wrapped a set of headers on my vette and after a year they started to fall apart. Next to the head the metal became brittle and cracked, one pipe actually had a hole about an inch and a half in it. Wrap looked fine but take it off and the pipes were trash. Very costly to repair, $1500 to replace headers and another $1200 to send them to Jet-Hot for ceramic coating inside and out. That seemed to work better till I sold the car.
:aniwheeler6:

·
Registered
99 Posts
I was going to say the same thing doesn't the heat wrap do damage to the exhaust piping itself because the heat is not allowed to radiate away but the wrap absorbs it ? It's basically smothering the heat between the piping and the wrap with no where to go

This can't be good , no wonder the vette pipes turned to kaka

·
Registered
153 Posts
What headers were they? I never put wrap on my vette headers, I put them plug wire socks on tho.
They were Hooker Super Comps, chrome plated sidemounts and did that car run hot, that's why I tried wrapping them. Definitely helped cut down on the heat but made the metal very brittle due to heat soaking.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just curious, but don't you guys have problems putting wrap on the exhaust pipes? I wrapped a set of headers on my vette and after a year they started to fall apart. Next to the head the metal became brittle and cracked, one pipe actually had a hole about an inch and a half in it. Wrap looked fine but take it off and the pipes were trash. Very costly to repair, $1500 to replace headers and another $1200 to send them to Jet-Hot for ceramic coating inside and out. That seemed to work better till I sold the car.
Header wrap and ceramic coating both do the same thing. I do have a spare set of Renegade header pipes that are at a local powder coater / ceramic coater, so I'll be able to give you more detail in the coming years.

I have used header wrap to wrap header pipes and turbo feed pipes for a very long time, on dozens of vehicles. I've never heard of anything you said happening. I'm not saying that it couldn't happen, just that its never happened to me.

And, I would have to think a corvette is creating substantially more engine heat than an ATV.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Header wrap and ceramic coating both do the same thing. I do have a spare set of Renegade header pipes that are at a local powder coater / ceramic coater, so I'll be able to give you more detail in the coming years.

I have used header wrap to wrap header pipes and turbo feed pipes for a very long time, on dozens of vehicles. I've never heard of anything you said happening. I'm not saying that it couldn't happen, just that its never happened to me.

And, I would have to think a corvette is creating substantially more engine heat than an ATV.
I agree the Vette would run much hotter but that is most likely due to less air flow compared to an ATV. If I remember correctly Jet-Hot said that the ceramic wouldn't fatigue the metal or cause it to get brittle which is why I tried it. That thing ran hot from the get go, start it up, run it for 5 minutes and open the hood at night and the pipes were all a dull red. Car was only fun to drive if you were moving, go to a cruise or get stuck in traffic and it was miserable, A/C couldn't even keep the temps down inside it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts