Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dealer I had my 06 800 serviced at shortly after I purchased my Outlander recommended a Helix Coil for the oil drain. Well the damn thing failed and oil leaked all over my garage, thing is it's just been sitting for a while since I haven't been able to ride the past 18 months. The only thing I did was move it from the back yard to the garage prior to noticing the leak, it was definitely not leaking while it was stored in the back yard. Can Am dealer suggested replacing the helix coil with a new one, I talked to a mechanic at a shop down the road here and he said he wouldn't recommend a helix coil for a drain plug and recommended just re-tapping it.

I thought the purpose of the helix coil was that it would last much longer? That was what the dealer told me and when I showed him the drain plug they seemed very surprised it had failed. Think they just didn't put it in right?

I'm in no hurry to get it fixed since I still can't ride for another 6 months or so but I also can't fire it up to move it because all of the oil is drained out.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
(Its heli-coil hehe)I had one done on the hydrostatic drive on my tractor and it dribbled afterwards as well. Pain in the butt. I ended up putting teflon tape on the plug. I'm thinking they don't use enough thread locker when installing them and the fluid leaks behind the heli-coil.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
heli/helix just semantics they have the same meaning.

I've thought about teflon and/or sealing it with a thread locker or something and using an
oil extractor to remove it from the fill hole so I don't have to drain the oil.

It irks me because I was up sold on this mod with the understanding it would last much longer then the stock threaded drain plug.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Time-sert. nuff said.

Reactions: DaveB

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looked time sert up and the article I read said not to use if you have any other inserts installed?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts