Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just brought my new outlander 800 to the dealer for its 10hr service, everything was fine prior to bringing it in....I just wanted there to be a record of it being done. Now that I have the bike home and have not riden it since I got it back there are oil spots under the bike which I think is oil that spilled, but it's quite a bit. I checked the plugs and they seem tight with no sign of leaking. The major problem is they WAY over filled the engine oil. It is literally up to the top of the dip stick and the threads where it screws in! For some reason my dealership is closed on Mondays so I haven't contacted them yet but I plan to tomarrow morning I have a big wheeling trip planned this weekend so if they can't get it in by then what are something that could happen to the bike with too much oil I'm it I refuse to touch it since I spent $218 for the service and it is not done right, but I certainly don't want to ruin my outlander

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
283 Posts
With a car, over filled oil can actually lead to the engine being starved of oil and destroy the motor. Not sure if this can happen with an ATV, but the same principle should apply I would assume. If they can't get it in time then just drain a little out. Or even easier use a hand pump that you can get at autozone for a few dollars and just suck it right out of the dipstick hole.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks dreamstate i planned on doing that if it absolutely came down to that, but I am so pissed at the dealership I'm hoping I don't have to touch it. I'm sure it's fine, but now I'm getting paranoid about the other fluids they changed if they can't even put the right amount of oil in the bike. I'm sure I'll end up going through it this week just for piece of mind!

·
Registered
686 Posts
Definitely check all your other fluids (diffs, gear box, coolant)

Your oil doesn't smell like gas does it? Being that much over filled it would be pretty obvious.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No the oil looks fine, it's so overfilled it looks like a damn 4 year old worked on it. I'll be calling them first thing tomorrow morning a letting them know I'm not happy!

·
Registered
804 Posts
Topped up oil

if they can't even put the right amount of oil in the bike. I'm sure I'll end up going through it this week just for piece of mind!
Exactly the same for my dealer and 10 Hour. Leaked oil all over the bed of the truck on the way home and in garage, I found it "topped right up" with oil.
I have various small syringes and a Dollar Store turkey baster out there(add a piece of 1/4 or 3/8" tubing to the end for more "reach") I sucked out the "extra" to the top fill line (which was only about 3-4 OZ) and went riding. "First Service" is my LAST ONE there I hope

·
Registered
82 Posts
had the bike been started at all since the fluids were changed? Im guessing it probably had for you to load it in your vehicle. Just thinking of possibilities if it hadn't been started. For example, if oil had been drained, filter changed and not started, the oil wouldn't circulate and therefore all of it would be just sitting at bottom of crankcase.
Orrrr the dealer could just be stupid and overfilled it.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
If you (or the dealer) ran it over filled, It would be worth it to pull the airfilter and make sure oil didn't end up there. I'm not sure if overfilling it will cause that or not, but I know tipping it on it's left side will. Either way, it might be worth it to check.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
The oil level on mine seems to vary a lot, so make sure you check it the same time after its shut off or whatever. Sometimes its way too full and then after I run it, then its right back where it belongs. Just verify this before you call up bitching......

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys! I checked the oil several times the last couple days. I let it run for a few minutes and rechecked it.....same thing right to the top of the dip stick.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Yes check the filter, oil can by pulled through the crank case vent into the air box. Careful running it, the crank shaft can make the oil foamy if it's over filled which will make it difficult for oil to be pumped to the motor, starving it of oil. Which of course would be extremely bad for its health.

·
Registered
425 Posts
since I went through this recently....the manual is pretty straight forward on this. If you are checking with the bike cold, most of your oil will be at the bottom.
Manual says to let the bike idle a bit, warm up , then actual wait for the oil to start returning to the bottom and then check. This actually ensures that the filter has been oiled (especially if it was just replaced)

But yeah if you checked with the bike cold, "oiled up" oil filter and you can see it at the top of the dipstick ...you have an issue.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hmm just checked mine as it recently came back from it's 10hr service in which I was probably grossly over charged for. As others have had, mine was pretty much just full to the brim. I took out a bunch with a turkey baster. I have not ridden it since it's survice so no harm done but jeez who works on these things. Exact same thing happened to my Brute force 750 after it's first service (different dealer).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks again for all the input guys! The dealer actually went good on it and took care of it for me! I checked the filter when I got home and it was fine! Got it back just in time for a wheeling trip the northern Wisconsin this weekend!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Stealer-ships - what are they good for? I don't go to them even for the first service any more I don't care who the manufacture is. If it has a problem before the warranty is up and I have all my air, filter receipts and the dealer will not honor the warranty, I will drive RIGHT thru their front door and then call 911 for them!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just got my 16 xmr 850. Same thing. Oil to the very top of dipstick. I drained oil and put appropriate amount in it.

Rode it a couple days and rechecked. It was at the add line on the dipstick. I didn't add any. Went out a minute ago. Rode it around yard for a min, and rechecked. Oil to the very tip top like last time. What is causing these to do this? Cause I know it's not too much oil. And the oil still looks new.

By the way, it has 18 hrs on it, never been rode hard or been half past tires in water. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
441 Posts
You guys do realize that when the oil is at the full mark on the dipstick that it is in the neck of the dipstick hole so it takes very little oil to go from full to overfull or topped off. We're talking an ounce or two at most which is nothing to get to crazy about.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts

Like most of you, I was always told to check oil with engine warm. But my 850xt manual says different. Weird.
I always if possible check oil cold, Hot just before changing it. The only thing you want hot is automatic transmission fluid when checking it because it expands.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Check it cold after it's been siting for a while. Unscrew dipstick wipe it off and thread it all the way back in then check it. Most accurate way of checking it and repeatable results.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts