Can-Am ATV Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

HELP-2010 Outy 500-Start Prob. first & repeat start OK but ...

1K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  jimo 
#1 ·
I have been having trouble starting my 2010 outlander 500 xt max for close to a year now. First start of the day starts perfect. After it has been running and after it has been shut off for 20+ minutes it acts like it can't get fuel. I have to cycle the pump like 3 times and try to start and repeat that a few times, it will try to start, fire a few times, maybe backfire and finally clear out and run ok. If you shut off warm it starts fine. I acts like an air lock, the one injector is dry but the other it damp like line seeping a small bit and maybe drawing air in when shut off and making air lock BUT if so why does it start ok first start of the day lol. Dealer checked it and couldn't find any problems. I don't think they checked pump pressure. It does run fine at full throttle when you would think a pump problem would stand out. It has never quit when running, only after shut off for 20+ minutes. There was a time it would only happen when fuel level was low, fill the tank and would start but now doesn't make a difference. This is a tough one. I prob should get a gauge on the pump and confirm pressure. HELP, and ideas??
Thanks

#2 ·
Sounds like maybe one of the injectors is slowly bleeding off pressure (fuel) into the cylinder after shut off. Does your oil smell like fuel?
When you restart warm then no problem because it hasn't had time to bleed off.
When you restart 20 min later it's had time to bleed off into cylinder and now your throwing MORE fuel in when trying to start.
When you cold start it the fuel that bled off into the cylinder has had time to seep past the rings.
In any case, start simple. Check fuel pressure. Check fuel lines. Check vent lines and any check valves. Swap injectors and see if the wet condition follows. Thats where I would start.

#3 ·
Hi jimo I was didn't know if there was a check valve on the pump to hold the fuel to the injectors so yesterday I tried pinching the fuel line with vice grips before the injectors and tried to start an hr later and no better. 6-8 tries before starts. I guess the vice grips trick would have stopped a leaking injector too. Do you think a bad pump would only show up a problem like this? Sometimes when it does start like this it will miss on on cylinder for a minute or 2 and idle fine but act lean trying to accelerate but 2 minutes later works fine. Hmmm.

#5 · (Edited)
Check valves are in the fuel lines not the pump. I think 1 in the return and 1 in the vent line. Also maybe not getting good spark on that cylinder. Check plugs and plug wires.

#6 ·
There is nothing in the main fuel line except a Y, no return line and 2 check valves in the vent line- one to let air in and one out.
Today I confirmed it is a fuel problem, it wouldn't start after the first run like usual so I pulled the air filter off and misted some gas into the intake and she fired up and stalled, I misted more gas after it started for like 5 seconds and then it ran ok, just like an air lock or ......?

#7 · (Edited)
Are the injectors firing like they should? Lots of info on here with regards to injectors/testing. My concern with fuel in the oil would be washing out a cylinder. I would make sure you have proper fuel pressure(51psi from idle to wot) to the injectors. Check proper operation of injectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.