Can-Am ATV Forum banner

HELP! 2017 outlander 650 RPM jump

1434 Views 15 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Jckrall
So I have a 2017 outlander 650 that runs great idles great besides you can not hold rpm anywhere from about 1800-2800 rpm. If you slowly move throttle once it gets up to 1800 it just jumps up. Same thing decelerating. I have read every post I can find. Seems like couple other people have had this but haven’t seen post on the fix. I leaning towards getting new idle air control valve. I put volt meter on throttle position sensor and seems smooth with no dead spots. Any help much appreciated.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Super Moderator
2016 Outlander Max XT 650
2,112 Posts
So I have a 2017 outlander 650 that runs great idles great besides you can not hold rpm anywhere from about 1800-2800 rpm. If you slowly move throttle once it gets up to 1800 it just jumps up. Same thing decelerating. I have read every post I can find. Seems like couple other people have had this but haven’t seen post on the fix. I leaning towards getting new idle air control valve. I put volt meter on throttle position sensor and seems smooth with no dead spots. Any help much appreciated.
Welcome to the forum first of all and I'm sure we can help.

@CanAmRancher1 and @BombardierBomb will make quick work of your problem.

Reactions: 650outymax

· Regular Joe
2014 Maverick 1000r
8,222 Posts
Welcome to the site!

leaning towards getting new idle air control valve.
That's what I was going to recommend. You can remove it from the intake and attempt to clean it/verify it's moving freely not sticking. There's a couple threads floating around here, one's real good, pictures n all. Search for IAC.

As long as your throttle cable/butterfly in the intake is stroking free and returning to stop, IAC is about the only other thing this could be

• Helpful
Reactions: xsever

· Super Moderator
2,209 Posts
So you tested ohms? You need to test ohms with this table. You could check the IAC valve also.
Font Material property Parallel Engineering Auto part
Font Material property Working animal Screenshot Machine

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thanks a ton. this is exactly the information I was wanting. So first of all I did remove the IAC and verified it is moving but that's about all I did. I will check the resistance on it. So when I checked the TPS I just dc volts and watch the voltage rise smoothly from about .45 volts up to about 4.5 volts roughly. Do I need the ECM adapter tool to check the resister on the TPS. It looks like I can just test the pins can't I?

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry I meant resistance on the TPS but I'm confused by that chart. Because I Believe there were only three wires going into the TPS. So I'm guessing I will need that ECM adapter tool.

· Regular Joe
2014 Maverick 1000r
8,222 Posts
If you don't have a copy already, download your free service manual:

• Helpful

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you don't have a copy already, download your free service manual:

Thanks a ton, So I dont have the ECM adapter tool and doesnt seem worth it yet for me. I did go and test the resistance on the IAC. It reads right around 50. I had it out and kind of pressed on the plunger is what I would call it. Put it back in and it was kind of all over the place idling. which I expected. it settled down but then running the throttle up and down it was the same only worse. I'm fairly confident its the IAC and probably first thing i'm going to replace. If its not will get a TPS as they arent that expensive. I will report back once I get a sensor but going to be mid next week before I get a new IAC

· Regular Joe
2014 Maverick 1000r
8,222 Posts
You can replace the IAC without fuss, but if you remove the TPS, you will have to re-zero the sweep via BUDS

Just letting you know

• Helpful

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well i'm still waiting on an IAC that I ordered but it kind of hit me to try and go run the machine while covering up the hole in the throttle body to the IAC. So I started it and as i started to cover the hole i gave it a little throttle as i knew it would die. I then completely covered the hole and ran the throttle up and down. I was able to hit all RPM and hold around 2000 if I wanted. I assume this gives me a pretty good idea that it is in fact the IAC. We will find out next week though. Thanks again for all the help

· Super Moderator
2,112 Posts

· Regular Joe
2014 Maverick 1000r
8,222 Posts
For the sake of saying it, check Rocky Mountain ATV and Partzilla for the best prices on OEM BRP stuff.

Sometimes the local dealer route makes sense too, but they rarely sell below full list, unlike those two ^

· Super Moderator
2,112 Posts
Little update for anyone that cares. I installed the new IAC and it significantly smoothed out the throttle. This wheeler still has an aggressive engine brake and pretty high torque but it made it so much better. Thanks for all the help.
So problem fully solved?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts