Can-Am ATV Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Help with LinQ 12 gallon trunk box installation

25K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  Poppa bob 
#1 ·
I just purchased a new 2018 Outlander 650 Max XT. One accessory I purchased was the LinkQ 12 gallon trunk box. I am not sure if there is something wrong with me or the box. This question goes out to someone whom has recently installed. When place the trunk on the rear deck it attaches well with the LinkQ attachments. I comes with hardware that is meant to be used to help it attach to at a third point on the new model. Supposedly, your are supposed to drill two holes to help line up a metal support bar on the inside of the box with an aluminum "hook" on the outside with two screws. The outside hook engages with a third hole on the deck close to the bumper. Two problems I am concerned about: #1 is when the box is engaged with the front LinQ attachments I feel the box sits too far forward on the deck. This is for two reasons. When I open the lid, I am not able to open the lid all the way to allow the lid to stay up without me holding against the back rest on the rear seat. The second bigger concern is there is NO way that I can see lining up the exterior hook (attachment point) with the trunk box itself. The farthest back drill hole in the aluminum hook is to far back compared to the trunk which would not allow me to drill a hole to engage the bolt needed to attach the hook to the trunk. I am sure this is hard to visualize if you haven't recently installed on your own Outlander. These two concerns make me think the trunk case should be sitting about 1 inch further back on the rear deck because the lid is too close to the rear seat back rest and the trunk is too far forward to line up the bolt for the third attachment site. My question: Am I doing something wrong or is this Can Am accessory trunk not within specifications and therefore the trunk does not fit properly or proper installation? Attached our two pictures the suspected/Users/bigdog/Desktop/trunk1 misalignment.[/ATTACH]

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I just purchased a new 2018 Outlander 650 Max XT. One accessory I purchased was the LinkQ 12 gallon trunk box. I am not sure if there is something wrong with me or the box. This question goes out to someone whom has recently installed. When place the trunk on the rear deck it attaches well with the LinkQ attachments. I comes with hardware that is meant to be used to help it attach to at a third point on the new model. Supposedly, your are supposed to drill two holes to help line up a metal support bar on the inside of the box with an aluminum "hook" on the outside with two screws. The outside hook engages with a third hole on the deck close to the bumper. Two problems I am concerned about: #1 is when the box is engaged with the front LinQ attachments I feel the box sits too far forward on the deck. This is for two reasons. When I open the lid, I am not able to open the lid all the way to allow the lid to stay up without me holding against the back rest on the rear seat. The second bigger concern is there is NO way that I can see lining up the exterior hook (attachment point) with the trunk box itself. The farthest back drill hole in the aluminum hook is to far back compared to the trunk which would not allow me to drill a hole to engage the bolt needed to attach the hook to the trunk. I am sure this is hard to visualize if you haven't recently installed on your own Outlander. These two concerns make me think the trunk case should be sitting about 1 inch further back on the rear deck because the lid is too close to the rear seat back rest and the trunk is too far forward to line up the bolt for the third attachment site. My question: Am I doing something wrong or is this Can Am accessory trunk not within specifications and therefore the trunk does not fit properly or proper installation? Attached our two pictures the suspected/Users/bigdog/Desktop/trunk1 misalignment.[/ATTACH]
I just put this same 12 gallon cargo box on my bike last weekend, was super easy and worked perfectly. The two holes you need to drill should be punch-marked on the bottom of the box already, just drill the holes and bolt the hook on, should be a 2 minute job. Make sure you have the hook set in the right direction, the open end should be facing the front of the bike.

Does your box have the two punch-marks on the bottom? They should be pretty easy to see.

You are not going to be able to swing the lid of the box all the way open but that's what happens when you have a big passenger seat in front of it. BRP makes the larger box that has a more involved style of hinges that allow it to open all the way while the passenger seat is still installed, its $100+ more but it might be worth checking out. Scooting the box back an inch isn't going to let it swing all the open, and if you tried doing this it would be flopping all over the place since you couldn't use the hook. If its a huge deal not being able to swing the box all the way open you could always just put it in your front rack...

Reactions: Xhumeka
#4 ·
I just put this same 12 gallon cargo box on my bike last weekend, was super easy and worked perfectly. The two holes you need to drill should be punch-marked on the bottom of the box already, just drill the holes and bolt the hook on, should be a 2 minute job. Make sure you have the hook set in the right direction, the open end should be facing the front of the bike.

Does your box have the two punch-marks on the bottom? They should be pretty easy to see.

You are not going to be able to swing the lid of the box all the way open but that's what happens when you have a big passenger seat in front of it. BRP makes the larger box that has a more involved style of hinges that allow it to open all the way while the passenger seat is still installed, its $100+ more but it might be worth checking out. Scooting the box back an inch isn't going to let it swing all the open, and if you tried doing this it would be flopping all over the place since you couldn't use the hook. If its a huge deal not being able to swing the box all the way open you could always just put it in your front rack...
There must be something wrong with this storage trunk. There are no pre stamped punch marks and the end of box does not fully reach the location where the hook will be installed . I do have the open end of hook facing front of machine. I tried on the front with the same problem. This seems bizarre to me but for the life of me I can’t see how this will work. I’ll end up returning the trunk which is a bummer because I really do like the practicality of this box.

#5 ·
The dimples tripleblack are referencing are molded into the box and look like dimples. There are located on the center line and slightly off center of the box, not near the rear of the box. Of your handy, do yourself a favor. Rivot the hook to a aluminum backing plate. I have the larger box and the box flexed so much, my hook would disengage. The backing plate solved the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 · (Edited)
I have the same box and it installed great on my 570 max XT using the 2 rubber coated j-hooks on either side. They slipped right over the round bar of the rear rack. Then I upgraded to the 650 max XT with the linq racks and knew obviously the j hooks won't work on the rear rack but I had this little aluminum clip left from when I bought the box. I cannot figure out where or how that clip attaches to the linq rack. It's not wide enough to accept the thickness of the rack? I gave up and just installed a 3rd mount using a brass T-bolt. Drilled one 5/16 hole in the bottom of the box and the head of the bolt mounts below one of the nickel sized holes in the linq rack. Center, towards the rear. Bummer is if I need to remove the box, I need a wrench to un-do the nut&bolt which sort of defeats the purpose of a linq box but I don't see myself needing to remove it often. It is very secure now. If anyone has pictures of how that aluminum clip attaches to the linq rear rack, please share. As usual for can-am accessories, the instructions are useless and vague.

#11 ·
I'm in the exact same boat - but mine didn't even come with instructions? Can someone link them to me (I can't find them using google or the can-am site) or post them somehow? I have an XTP and I think I need to use that aluminum piece but I can't for the life of me figure out how it connects either... someone needs to make a video of this, ridiculous!!

#12 ·
I have the same box and it installed great on my 570 max XT using the 2 rubber coated j-hooks on either side. They slipped right over the round bar of the rear rack. Then I upgraded to the 650 max XT with the linq racks and knew obviously the j hooks won't work on the rear rack but I had this little aluminum clip left from when I bought the box. I cannot figure out where or how that clip attaches to the linq rack. It's not wide enough to accept the thickness of the rack? I gave up and just installed a 3rd mount using a brass T-bolt. Drilled one 5/16 hole in the bottom of the box and the head of the bolt mounts below one of the nickel sized holes in the linq rack. Center, towards the rear. Bummer is if I need to remove the box, I need a wrench to un-do the nut&bolt which sort of defeats the purpose of a linq box but I don't see myself needing to remove it often. It is very secure now. If anyone has pictures of how that aluminum clip attaches to the linq rear rack, please share. As usual for can-am accessories, the instructions are useless and vague.
I'm in the exact same boat - but mine didn't even come with instructions? Can someone link them to me (I can't find them using google or the can-am site) or post them somehow? I have an XTP and I think I need to use that aluminum piece but I can't for the life of me figure out how it connects either... someone needs to make a video of this, ridiculous!!
Directions for the larger box I installed this weekend were at instructions.brp.com. It has an aluminum hook as well. It goes in the centre rear of the box, on the outside, facing the back of the bike. Mine had predrilled holes but perhaps yours may just have dimples that you need to drill out. The hook slides in the centre linq mount, you pull the box slightly rearward and the linq mounts on the sides will be lined up.

#15 ·
Directions for the larger box I installed this weekend were at instructions.brp.com. It has an aluminum hook as well. It goes in the centre rear of the box, on the outside, facing the back of the bike. Mine had predrilled holes but perhaps yours may just have dimples that you need to drill out. The hook slides in the centre linq mount, you pull the box slightly rearward and the linq mounts on the sides will be lined up.
Thanks!!! I was able to find my instructions online using that link and I was finally able to install that aluminum clip. For my box (smaller than yours, the 23Gal/86Litre box) the hook faces towards the front of the vehicle - seems to hold solid enough but time will tell if a bumpy ride jerks it loose.

Thanks again!

#7 ·
Mine had the pre marked holes on mine. Drilled them and on the first ride the aluminium hook kept popping out. So I took the drill and slotted the holes and pushed the hook forward more. That helped on a smoother ride day but eventually it worked it way out from the bottom of the box flexing. So I said screw it and drilled a 3/4 inch hole and drilled threw the box right where the hole is in the rack where the hook would line up. I used big washers and a nylock nut and never looked back. Crescent wrench to remove if needed. With that being said my buddy has the same box and never has a issue....

#9 ·
Linq box mounting

Dealer installed my 32 gallon rear box when I bought my 1000 max. They didn't even include the aluminum clip let alone install it. I didn't know it was supposed to be there till I bought a front box later that came with it. Contacted dealer about it. It took a month to get the part they sent to me. In the mean time I made a couple small slots on either side of where the clip goes and used a large hose clamp to thread through slots and around linq rack openings. Clip is still on shelf and may stay there after seeing above posts about popping off. Yes, this defeats purpose of quick removal. Only a few hundred miles on the 2017 Outlander. So far I am not real impressed with Can Am overall especially considering the money you have to spend on them, not just because of this clip. I am trying to stay positive about this purchase.:|

#14 ·
I did mine a few months back and the two dimples where you are meant to drill was going to be a bit of a loose fit for that one clip. It would be loose to the point that it would have probably disengaged on bumpy trails. What I did was actually just pulled the rear LinkQ rack off the quad then I was able to line up the clip to a nice and snug fit and drill the holes exactly where they needed to be. It's been working out great and has stood up to some abuse now.

What would have been nice is if they had just made the box with a third LinkQ disconnect but removing the rack to get a good alignment was worth the extra 10 minutes or so.

#18 ·
I know this is a old thread but, I just bought this box and am having problems also. I used their marks to Drill and mount the aluminum latch. So the latch seems like it needs to sit further back because I am about an inch away from being able to engage the linq mounts in the front of the box. But I can’t drill any further back , the hole closest to the back is already on the edge of the box. Short of me starting to fab something up can anyone offer me some help?

#22 ·
I chose to go the homemade route and put a rubber grommet that I cut to linq shape and heated a threaded insert to press in. Used a threaded knobb to fasten to the rack so it’s “tool less”

Attachments

#25 ·
I don’t know about the OP but I had something similar and I can get you a picture when I get out of work later. All my parts were from my local hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.