Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
07 outlander 800 max purchased a month ago. Rode it fell in love with it. Took it to our cabin went on a longer ride with friends noticed it was getting hot. The fan wasn't coming on. It was slow to crank when it was warm. Replaced the bad fan. Fan now comes on and works. Machine was still getting hot and the slow cranking got worse. Put a new gel battery in it cleaned and greased all connections twice. Checked and replaced every fuse and relay up front and the 2 30s in the rear. This past weekend after a short ride from our cabin it just shut off. I managed to get it running again but it went right in limp mode and shut down again. It hasn't fired since. Rechecked all electrical connections fuses relays grounds etc. Today I removed the spark plugs and she cranked like new. I then put a plug in cylinder no 2 and she cranked great. Took the plug out of no 2 stuck it in no1 cylinder and sloooooow crank again. Any ideas?

·
Registered
95 Posts
kind of sounds like it is not keeping the battery charged. My 06 400 when I bought it wasn't charging, didn't know at the time. I would charge the battery and throughout the ride it would crank slower each time I start it to the point of not having enough juice to crank it. The fan will not run either when the battery drains down. A quick check is to take a volt meter and check the voltage at the battery terminals as you rev it up to see if it is putting out more than 13Volts. The 400s in 06-07 had crappy voltage regulators but I think the 800s had better ones.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Battery is new and on the meter it's 14.4 volts and drops to 13.9 while trying to crank.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,023 Posts
I sure hope yours isn't suffering from that bottom end bearing issues some of those early V-twins fell victim to. Tolerances between rod and crank were "too tight" from factory, and as engine heated up and metal expanded, the bearings would begin to seize agains the crank, giving you slow or in some cases, no crank, when warm, but normal operation at cold.

Without any compression at all (spark plugs removed) sure yeah it oughta turn over like a rotary, so I'm not sure how that would help diagnose this issue. When's the last time you changed the oil? Could cut the filter up and check for metal shavings, hopefully you've got something else going on.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Also if the chain jumped and the engine was still turning over, the piston(s) might have collided with the valves. Be careful, this might have been more of a failure then the picture might only indicate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts