Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a used xmr witch one would be the better for the long run with less break downs I'm looking at the 800 and 1000 wondering what differences you get with the motor size upgrade

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Bigger motor = more HP with the 1000! And depending on the year really depends upon what you get. If you get a used 2015, then I would recommend the 1000 because you get more for your money. On the 2015's you get fox podium shocks, updated gauges, mud fenders, bigger differential, lower low gear, rear bumper, longer frame, hand guards, 82 hp. On the 2015's 800 you don't get any on the above. The 800 has 72 hp....If you are talking about 2014's and prior, then you get ACS (air shocks, which a lot of people have issues with and BRP has removed on the 2015's) ... If you are talking about the 2012's and below XMR's, then that is on a Generation 1 frame and 2013 and above XMR's are on Generation 2 frames (totally different and are improved)....
Regardless, I would get the 1000, if you can...You won't be disappointed!

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
That guy ^^^^ has you covered well! :)

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Well......what spawn said..... gonna be a short thread.lol

·
Registered
72 Posts
There are alot of differences that Spawn mentioned, however the differentials are the same between the 800 and 1000. If they offered a 1000 XMR in a short frame platform then I would have been all over it, but they don't so I opted for the 800 XMR. I'm sure you'll be happy with either one.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
The long chassis would push me away too.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I didn't like the long frame either at first but I love it now. I ride some steep hills sometimes and the extra wheelbase of the 1000 helps out.

·
Registered
224 Posts
My 800 are perfect!! I add better suspension cause the stock suspension are shit but the short wheelbase are nice !

Envoyé de mon iPhone

·
Registered
790 Posts
luv my xmr1000. Long wheelbase no problem. Even with another 5" from Catvos you'd never know it was a problem.

I ride 2up a lot and the rear seat is fantastic.

·
Registered
790 Posts
not really considering nearly half the cost of the kit is axles.

Reactions: SouthernMud

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi I own a 2013 1000 love it, I really like the longer frame only buy new as most of these machines are road hard
P.S I have less than 1000 km on mine and replaced $1500.00 in parts out side of warrenty
You want to play you got to pay

·
Registered
31 Posts
Front shocks on the 2015 1000 suck. It takes 3 miles to turn around. And bottoms our on hills faster than the 800. If you like doing wheelies or donuts get the 800

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Front shocks on the 2015 1000 suck. It takes 3 miles to turn around. And bottoms our on hills faster than the 800. If you like doing wheelies or donuts get the 800
Might need to adjust the shocks. The fox podiums are some of the best shocks out there.... I love my shocks...soaks up everything

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
i love my 800 xmr short chasis was what sold me over the 1000
Same here, but for the opening post if thats what you want too it only came out in 2015, 2012 and prior xmr 800's were on the max frame and as mentioned the older generation bike

·
Registered
444 Posts
I just bought a 650 xmr cause price was right and short chasis is my kinda ride,, but if I had the money and wanted power plus an xmr id go 800 with short chasis, just my opinion

1 - 19 of 19 Posts