Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
old rough riding honda foreman
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy Bombardiers! Jerry here. I've been drooling over can am atv's for quite a while now.

I'm looking at this ride wanting to upgrade without completely breaking the bank. It has 190+ hrs and 6000 mi. Do y'all think it's worth 8k usd?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No parts replaced. The dealer thinks it was a wyo vehicle that was ridden on the roads which is legal there. If that's true the miles would have been pretty soft. Tires must have been replaced bc the rubber looks good. Nada shows 6400-8400 for it but doesn't factor in mileage at all. I really like it and will most likely will keep it for a decade or more if it holds up.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Well, my '14 1000 has 650 hours and 9,200 miles and it's been great to me. Still has original u joints, wheel bearings and axles. The wheel bearings have never been greased, I do grease my u joints every ride though.

·
Registered
2016 Can-Am Outlander MAX DPS 650
96 Posts
I bought a 2016 Outlander 650 MAX in July 2020 for a good price. It had 343 hours and 8,900 km (5,530 miles) on it.To get it back into factory condition, I replaced some wear items such as the spark plugs, two CV boots, all 4 tie rods, all fluids, the front diff wear ring and oil seal, rear brake pads, and cleaned and greased the one-way bearing.

Now it feels and rides brand new and I really enjoy it.

Did the dealership perform an inspection on it? Are all the parts I mentioned still original? Can you inspect it yourself? I wouldn't buy it before inspecting the CV boots, the tie rods, the bearings, any leaks from the diffs, engine, and gearbox.
You need to make sure you are not buying a money pit for $8k.

Lots of videos on youtube that detail how to inspect an ATV.

·
Registered
628 Posts
No parts replaced. The dealer thinks it was a wyo vehicle that was ridden on the roads which is legal there. If that's true the miles would have been pretty soft. Tires must have been replaced bc the rubber looks good. Nada shows 6400-8400 for it but doesn't factor in mileage at all. I really like it and will most likely will keep it for a decade or more if it holds up.
so they are trying to sell it on the higher end of NADA.. i'd offer them 7500 tops personally

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate all your feedback. Based on what I'm hearing it sounds like it will last as long as i want/ need it to. Just boils down to do i want to pay 7700 for an atv with better features and a bunch of miles or pay 10500 for a new 650xt.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I appreciate all your feedback. Based on what I'm hearing it sounds like it will last as long as i want/ need it to. Just boils down to do i want to pay 7700 for an atv with better features and a bunch of miles or pay 10500 for a new 650xt.
If I had the 10,500, I'd buy the new one bcz with the used one at 7,700, you'll easily end up spending 1k or 2k on it to fix it up based on its mileage.

·
Registered
613 Posts
If I had the 10,500, I'd buy the new one bcz with the used one at 7,700, you'll easily end up spending 1k or 2k on it to fix it up based on its mileage.
Agree.... its getting to the point depending on how well it was taken care of that were and tear items are going to need changing.. My cat had 14000km on it when i sold it missed out on a whole riding season, started out with the clutch going then pinion seals. The way i looked at it i was probably going to be changing out alot more over the next few seasons. I usually was overkill on my maint and every winter stripped things down and checked and greased wheel bearings and such

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,023 Posts
Welcome to the site, Jerry.

Much as it pains us to say it, lol, we are (mostly) some level-headed yahoos around here, and some of the asking prices we see for "our" bikes is just laughable. We'd love to get what some of these ads are asking, but it's just not realistic, for the most part. Occasionally you might find a "diamond in the rough", but yeah, no, there's no way I could come close to 8k on that machine. Something in the 6's is more likely: $6500ish

Reactions: Blackfoot95

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm VERY enamored with the xtp package but I'm not going to trail ride much. I'll use whatever i get mostly for dinking around my 5 acres and a little hunting in the Rockies. My sensibilities tell me I'm better off saving a little $ and just getting the Xt?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm VERY enamored with the xtp package but I'm not going to trail ride much. I'll use whatever i get mostly for dinking around my 5 acres and a little hunting in the Rockies. My sensibilities tell me I'm better off saving a little $ and just getting the Xt?
My uses are split between trail riding and road driving and the XT package I have is plenty. The shocks on the XT-P can be very expensive if you need to replace them and with that mileage, I'd worry about them.

The XT package is a good balance between upgrades and keeping things relatively simple and easy/affordable to fix.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I guess i should have said that I'm moving on to shopping for new. So xt or xtp.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,023 Posts
Y'know, if you're onto shopping for new, now, I was told an old approach to buying something you planned to keep for many years, long ago : what's a few bucks a month, over the course of a buncha years? Get what's gonna make you happy/what you want. The cost difference is minimal, no?

Reactions: Canyaoutty

·
Registered
63 Posts
Buy new and dont under buy. Like Bob said, its literally going to change your payment like $18/month, and you'll never regret it. Ask me how I know.....

·
Registered
613 Posts
If your going new I would go xtp... no upgrades like shocks and such needed...

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
628 Posts
I do trail riding and use my 650 Max XT for hunting as well. I'm a bigger guy, and i don't see a problem with the stock shocks. Most of our riding is 30-40mph range and below.

We were going to get a 570 Max XT, but for one more payment we got the 650 so i said screw it and got the 650. It has plenty of power to get me and my wife up to 60mph easily. Heck my brother rode on the back of it with me on it, and it never skipped a beat and that was well over 500lbs of chubby dudes on it lol.

The XTP package is awesome, but check out the price difference of getting a XT and then adding elka's to it if you are worried about ride quality. From what i have read and heard on here Elka's are the bee's knees.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Well, my '14 1000 has 650 hours and 9,200 miles and it's been great to me. Still has original u joints, wheel bearings and axles. The wheel bearings have never been greased, I do grease my u joints every ride though.
Damn son. I already replace 1 ujoint (well both) but 1 was bad. Mostly my own fault for lack of grease on that one. Not knowing it had a zerk. 2500miles.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts