Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 1800 easy miles on the new belt. 3,100 on bike 2016 Outlander 650 xt max. Video shows the high pitch squeal on either side of engine. In two wheel drive accelerating and backing off I’m 75 so easy riding.High pitched noise
Noise #2
Belt? First time trying to add video. Hope it works

·
Super Moderator
2016 Outlander Max XT 650
1,762 Posts
About 1800 easy miles on the new belt. 3,100 on bike 2016 Outlander 650 xt max. Video shows the high pitch squeal on either side of engine. In two wheel drive accelerating and backing off I’m 75 so easy riding.High pitched noise
Noise #2
Belt? First time trying to add video. Hope it works
Both videos are still listed as private. Please list them as public in Youtube so we can see them.

·
Registered
2021 Outlander Max 450 DPS
1,016 Posts
The high pitched ringing is probably from the primary clutch. Mine does that too sometimes and I consider it 'normal'. Looking forward to reading what others have to say.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info!
I was guessing the clutch area.
So, do I need a new belt?
Do I check for a bad bearing?
Or, do I just ride it and call it a normal Can Am noise? I first noticed the noise starting about several hundred miles ago.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I first noticed the noise starting about several hundred miles ago.
Has it been getting worse as the mileage increases? I don't think that it is a belt or bearing problem if the clutch performs well.

There are a number of utube videos on Can-Am Outlander clutch noise issues. This one is an example:
can am outlander clutch noise

In my case there are only 3100 kms on the machine. I am keeping an ear out to see if the noise gets worse. If it does I might try adding the washers.

·
Registered
Oxford blue 2022 Outlander 850 XT
495 Posts
Mine does the same.
2022 Outlander 850 XT
My previous 2016 also.

x2 Tozguy

Luc

Reactions: Tozguy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I checked the video Tozguy mentioned. Mine isn't a rattle; but a whining sound like a turbo spooling up or down.
Thanks for those who responded saying theirs makes the same noise. Sets my mind at ease.
I'll pull the cover today or tomorrow and check the belt and inspect the clutch. I'll let you know what I find.
Funny that It didn't make this sound for the first 2,800 miles.
Appreciate your comments.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Mine isn't a rattle; but a whining sound like a turbo spooling up or down.
Yes indeed the sources of 'normal' noise on a Can-Am are many and varied.
Take gear whine from straight cut gears for instance, the whirring sound varies directly with vehicle speed but sometimes it is much louder than other times. Go figure.
Anyways it will be interesting to read about what you find.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Outlander Max XT 650
1,762 Posts
When is the last time you serviced the one-way bearings? Cleaning and greasing.

Reactions: Tozguy

·
Registered
141 Posts
I checked the video Tozguy mentioned. Mine isn't a rattle; but a whining sound like a turbo spooling up or down.
Thanks for those who responded saying theirs makes the same noise. Sets my mind at ease.
I'll pull the cover today or tomorrow and check the belt and inspect the clutch. I'll let you know what I find.
Appreciate your comments.
Are you sure it's coming from your clutches? I get this turbo whining sound from my front diff. Dealer says it's normal.

These machines are certainly noisy nerve rattling beasts; I've learned to just drive it like that sound, and that sound, and that other sound that sounds not right, is just the way it is!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay good people, I’ve finished my work and came to a final amateur conclusion.

I removed the clutch and greased the one way bearing. Everything was in excellent condition. Blew out small amount of dust, ?dogs? In the clutch were clean and had no looseness or slop. The new Gates belt was in great shape. Checked fluids in both diffs and the trans; all good
Road it around without the cover. Took some video. Tried both 4x4 and 2x4. Tried it with both belts.

Results: the Gates belt was clearly quieter. The high pitched whining was exactly the same. It was not any louder with or without the cover!
The noise was the same in four and two wheel drive.
Same on asphalt and dirt.

My conclusion: probably not the clutch. Probably not the front diff because it would be different in 4 vs 2 wheel drive
Probably transmission noise since that wouldn’t change between 4 or 2 wheel drive.

Like some of you have said, Can Ams can have lots of strange sounds. Their mechanical build is very beefy.

Working on the mechanics is impressive; working on the plastics is depressive!

Thanks so much for all your help and support!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts