Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, posted last week about my outlander 500 v-twin going into limp mode and displaying “high temp” it happened when I was in low gear & 4x4 - I was out today riding lovely when I came to climb some banks again put into low & 4x4, couple mins later it’s in limp mode & high temp displayed .... anyone experienced this and resolved it ? Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
what machine and what year? is the front and back of the radiator clean? do you have the coolant filled up, is there coolant in the over flow bottle? have you tried bleeding the system with the radiator cap off and messaging the hoses? are the thermostats opening on both cylinders? usually due to a dirty radiate, have you ever removed it and let it soak in hot water?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, sorry 2012 can am outlander 500cc v-twin efi, I’ve had a quick look at the radiator but seems clean, obviously going forward I’m thinking of a relocate, odd thing is it seems only when I low gear & 4x4 I can ride for hours with no issues in high gear 2wheel drive ?!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Every quad of every make Ive ridden gets hot going uphill.
Some make it without popping hot (red light comes on on older models/ aka limp mode on newer)

These outlanders seem to really like going fast.
When asked to go slow and climb, mine pops hot sometimes even before the fan comes on.
It is very hot here where I ride, spring summer and fall.

Keep the rad clean, make sure theres no air in the system (burp it) and, simplest answer/fix,,, install a manual fan switch bypass option.
Overheating problem solved everytime for me and not just on this outlander.
Worked on my kodiak too.

Not saying there -might- be other issues...
Just saying it gets mighty hot here and any air cooled quad (which they all are now right?) is going to have this issue.

Try it.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
But why would it be fine in high gear ? Or am I missing something ? Thanks
It likes going fast & more cooling air like bonzo said.
But mostly it likes going fast ;)

Reactions: Mjd5182

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
More air passing through.
I used to pull my radiator every fall and soak it in hot water in the laundry tub.
Amazing the crap that comes out.
Think the next step is a rad relocate for me I think ! Thanks dude !

·
Registered
743 Posts
If its went all these years without overheating then a relocate is not going to solve the issue.. you say when u pull over the fan kicks in? The fan should be kicked in long before that. You could have a bad sensor, waterpuump, dirty rad. When traveling at speed unless its pinned the fans barley will come on..

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If its went all these years without overheating then a relocate is not going to solve the issue.. you say when u pull over the fan kicks in? The fan should be kicked in long before that. You could have a bad sensor, waterpuump, dirty rad. When traveling at speed unless its pinned the fans barley will come on..

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
I’ve not really noticed it kick in when I’m riding as the noise from exhaust is loud, but fan always seems to on when I pull over, I rode about 25 mile yesterday over dirt tracks no limp mode riding fine and I was doing high speeds, then as soon as I came to climb and went into low gear / 4x4 I was in limp mode this as happened the last couple times I’ve gone to climb

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I’ve not really noticed it kick in when I’m riding as the noise from exhaust is loud, but fan always seems to on when I pull over, I rode about 25 mile yesterday over dirt tracks no limp mode riding fine and I was doing high speeds, then as soon as I came to climb and went into low gear / 4x4 I was in limp mode this as happened the last couple times I’ve gone to climb
I will take it for a run tommorow and listen for it kicking in whilst riding 👍🏽

·
Registered
6 Posts
I HAD overheating problems with my Outlander until I did two things.

1) Routinely clean the radiator with a foaming coil cleaner after riding. Spray it on, let it soak in, then gently wash it out with a hose. Be sure to get it clean from edge to edge. No power washer needed.

2) Get the ECU flashed so it will run cooler. Check out Wholesale ATV down in Memphis, TN. You mail the ECU to them, they call you to discuss what you'd like changed, then they mail it back to you. The whole process takes only a week to ten days. It'll be the best $99 you'll spend on your machine. Can Am ECU Flash Tuning. Doing this alone made a huge difference in the heat coming off my machine. I couldn't wear shorts while riding before the flash, but now I can without any discomfort. I get nothing from recommending them. I'm just a very satisfied customer.

I was plagued by limp mode the entire Summer in 2019, but not this year. Problem solved!

As some previous posters mentioned above, make sure there's no air in your system and make sure your fan is coming on at the right temp and running at the expected speed. My machine was fine on both counts before doing what I outlined above.

Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I HAD overheating problems with my Outlander until I did two things.

1) Routinely clean the radiator with a foaming coil cleaner after riding. Spray it on, let it soak in, then gently wash it out with a hose. Be sure to get it clean from edge to edge. No power washer needed.

2) Get the ECU flashed so it will run cooler. Check out Wholesale ATV down in Memphis, TN. You mail the ECU to them, they call you to discuss what you'd like changed, then they mail it back to you. The whole process takes only a week to ten days. It'll be the best $99 you'll spend on your machine. Can Am ECU Flash Tuning. Doing this alone made a huge difference in the heat coming off my machine. I couldn't wear shorts while riding before the flash, but now I can without any discomfort. I get nothing from recommending them. I'm just a very satisfied customer.

I was plagued by limp mode the entire Summer in 2019, but not this year. Problem solved!

As some previous posters mentioned above, make sure there's no air in your system and make sure your fan is coming on at the right temp and running at the expected speed. My machine was fine on both counts before doing what I outlined above.

Best of luck to you!
Hi, thanks for this ! I am in the uk but I will seee if a local guy who remapped my car may be able to flash the ecu ! Thanks again dude 👍🏽

1 - 16 of 16 Posts