Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my dumbass flipped the battery around when hooking it back up not realizing, noticed immediately due to the sparking sounds and the smell of something burning or shorting out. But so strangely the bike starts and idles fine had it running after checking my fuses, but upon taking for my test ride roughly 5 min in i got a Low Voltage reading on my display and a flashing check engine light. The bike still drove back home but in limp mode almost. It wouldnt rev up all the way and was def low on power.

The bit of smoke that did arise came from the voltage regulator area along with the smell, im currently recharging my battery (it obv died from the low voltage) and am going to test how many volts its reading while the problem occurs. Any ideas or tips of what it could be, what could have fried etc. Any help would be much appreciated!

Btw i know ive got to be some special to hook the battery up backwards, but i can assure you i do have mechanical experience lmfao

·
Registered
860 Posts
Well luckily you did not fry your ecu by the sounds of it. You probably cooked the voltage regulator i would pull the voltage regulator and test or get it tested before you fry something else.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,594 Posts
Welcome to the site

We all have our "DUMBASS!!" moments, don't sweat it :p

I'm with zrock, think you smoked your VR. Hopefully that's the extent of it, and a quick/simple replacement takes care of it. You'll want to confirm the stator survived, obviously, without it's output, the VR has nothing to work with.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts