Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Defender Max XMR
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I bought a used 2019 Defender Max HD10 XMR a few weeks ago. I also bought tracks that I am going to run in the winter, and was reading up about the DPS track module. How can I tell if my machine has DPS from the factory? I asked the original owner and he told me that the machine does not have DPS on it. However, there is a sticker on the dash (left of the steering wheel) for DPS, and when I pulled the lower dash off there is a power steering module between the upper and lower steering shafts. Seems strange that they would mount the power steering module if the machine doesn't have DPS. I would think that would be the most expensive part of the DPS system, so why would they mount one if it isn't used /paid for?. Any ideas ?!?!

Thanks !!!

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
4,097 Posts
As far as I know, BRP put DPS on all their XMR lineup. Sounds like you've got power steering (y)

Reactions: AkBillyBow

·
Registered
251 Posts
If there's a power steering motor on the steering shaft.. it has DPS, period. If you have an HD10, it has DPS as a factory option given that the only defender model in their lineup (standard defender) is the only one without it and only available with the HD5 or HD8 package.

If you want to confirm that it's working properly, try to turn the steering while while the machine is off (make sure it's been shut down with the key off for 10 seconds before trying as the DPS sometimes remains active for a few seconds after the engine is truned off) and then compare to how it turns with the machine running. Should be night and day difference especially in Med or Max setting.

·
Registered
2019 Defender Max XMR
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Excellent … thank you for the replies !! I was crossing my fingers and hoping I already had it. Figured it would be a nightmare to try and steer the tracks while going slow without power steering. I kind of wondered if there was an indication for DPS on the display. I am away from my machine for about a week, but will test it out and let you all know after I get home.

Thanks for the good news !!!

AkBillyBow

·
Registered
2016 Can-Am Outlander Max XT 650
515 Posts
I kind of wondered if there was an indication for DPS on the display.
Not sure if it's the same on Defenders, but on the Outlander, pressing the DPS button will show the setting change on the display "Min, Mid, Max".

·
Registered
2019 Defender Max XMR
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not sure if it's the same on Defenders, but on the Outlander, pressing the DPS button will show the setting change on the display "Min, Mid, Max".
Mine doesn't have a DPS button. I am thinking that is the same button that I would be buying for the track install ...correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I dont think my '21 defender has a dps adjustment??
2021 should have it built into the display now, no need for a separate switch. Do you have that rubber 4 way command unit for the display?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts