Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone has ever ridden to failure on the rear wheel bearings? Mine got somewhat bad fairly quickly on the second day of a week long WV trip so I had no choice but to ride on.. so now I'm curious if anyone has ever ridden them until failure? Some bearing/housing styles allow for them to wear enough they can come apart, allowing the bearings to get out and lock up or scar up the housing etc. With the type of bearings and the trailing arm design. I wouldn't think the bearings could ever escape from these. Seems like you could get by with them for a long while before they actually became a hazard.
Mine got a considerable amount of play in them fairly quickly but then stopped progressing. It wasn't terrible but it was bad enough that if I stopped on a hill you could see the wheels slanted to one side. And of course you could grab the wheel and shake the bike and feel a pretty good amount of play in there.

So just curious everyone elses experiences with the wheel bearings. With our crowd of canams this is the first time we have had bearings go out.

Thanks!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Personally I wouldnt chance it. Its a lot less work to replace them now then when your wheel falls off. Not to mention causing you to wreck or possibly causing a wreck if someone behind you trying to avoid your tire/bike/you

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'd replace them ASAP. Your wheel won't fall off but u could damage the knuckle and now it's not a $60 fix anymore. I've ridden 200 or more miles on a bad bearing till my tire had some serious play.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Yeah, replace ASAP to minimize collateral damage which increases cost.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts