Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2012 outlander 1000 xt. These clutches are confusing me compared to my king quad. From my previous questions, i removed clutch cover to inspect belt for flat spots(due to shimmying, hesitation feeling when loading quad into truck) i noticed the belt sits right down in the primary, and it you roll the bike, the inner side of the belt rolls on some type of roller/bearing? Is this normal?

So unlike other clutch setups i have worked on, the belt does not have constant tension on the sides of it? Is this what causes the lack of belt grip when trying to load the quad using very little to no throttle?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Yes, it's a whole different setup than the King. You can't baby it like a wet clutch or you'll wear flat spots in the belt and it will be even more jumpy.

When you apply throttle, the primary clutch tightens to grab the belt. when they tighten enough to prevent slip, off you go. Learn to ride this type clutch very soon or you will be buying new belts frequently.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Should I drive it similar to my Ski-doo Renegade? With the sled I do not ease into the throttle but rather burp the throttle to get the clutch engaged, then once I am moving I can alter my speed selection. The key with the sled is to get going first, then once moving decide if more throttle is required. Doing it this way...I am still using the original belt, with never a blown belt.

Are the Can-am clutches similar as the Ski-doo versions ?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Exactly! It's extremely similar. Small differences (one way bearing) but if you understand snowmobile clutches your good to go.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Ive only been through one belt, lasted 8000km. I never babied the throttle but never went nuts either. Just as you said, "burp" the throttle then alter speed selection.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts