Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Can-Am Outlander XMR 1000R
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day everyone,
I will tell short stories in this thread of my hunting experience up here in Rankin Inlet, Nunavut.

Wheel Ecoregion Luggage and bags Automotive tire Vehicle

My 8-year old daughter is beginning to enjoy driving the bike.
This was as we were leaving uqsurriallak, a large quartz bedrock.
Up here we teach our children how to hunt, drive, cook, and we teach them survival skills.
I was 5-6 years old when my late father taught me how to drive.
He would take me on many hunting trips from the age of 2.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle

Here is a picture of me in 1994, maybe 95.
The day I took my daughter hunting for the first time on our new Can-Am I taught her how to navigate, how to predict weather conditions and which areas to cross river streams.
That day we had seen one caribou as the sun was setting, my hunting partner and his 8-year old son caught it.
We taught our children how to butcher on the spot. The kiddos were eager to get into it hands-on, but also ready to go home.
So there was a lot of "coooool, how do you separate those body parts?" And 2 minutes later "Can we go home now?..."
Hahaha
Water Sky Blue Grass Adaptation

My 3-year old son's first catch, a grayling on a fly rod.
This was at iqalugaarjuk.
That evening I got to cut his hair for the first time.
The exciting of hearing him say "help me roll it up, 'Taata"
Ataata in Inuktitut is dad in English.
He had a hard time saying reel at the time. This was just in July. Hahah

I am 30 years old, and will spend any given day out hunting by myself, with my children or with a hunting partner...even if it means calling in 'sick' from work. Hahaha
Hunting and fishing are part of our heritage, our culture, our livelihood.

Trophy hunting Hunting Deer hunting Plant community Plant

My cousin caught his first bull caribou on Thursday September 30.
Huge bull! He is 5'9"
We left around 7 am that day, traveled 80km west. Saw this caribou around 2:30 pm. As he was butchering it I scouted for more caribou around the area. There wasn't any unfortunately.
So I helped him butcher and pack.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle

Here we are at Amaruqtalik on our way home. Taking a break.
Amaruq in Inuktitut is wolf in English
Amaruqtalik translates to area of wolves.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Great pictures and story, Looks like you have a lot of flat land up there, how do you manage to sneak up on the animals???

·
Registered
2017 Defender HD8
398 Posts
This is awesome! Good for you teaching the next generation! We’re losing that here in the lower 48. None of my nephews followed me in my hunting adventures.

Living the good life!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is awesome! Good for you teaching the next generation! We’re losing that here in the lower 48. None of my nephews followed me in my hunting adventures.

Living the good life!
I feel ya on the nephews situation. My nephews refuse to go out hunting with me. Only one will come along once in a while.
I feel blessed to pass on what I have been taught.
I actually just got back from a short cruise out. Unfortunately thick fog rolled in. Time to work on the gun case.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wood Wood stain Tree Hardwood Gas

My cousin built me a wooden rack last night.
Since I never use LinQ products on the rear end I figured this was a great idea to have.
holds more supplies and caribou meat.
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Tire Motor vehicle

I also finished cutting out slots into my hard case gun case and added snowmobile hood straps. Rather than tying the whole case down I now just unbuckle the factory latches and have easy access to my rifle.

Next objective is to built a little "decking" on each side of the foot rests to hole my jerry cans.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outlander XMR 650
5,363 Posts
Good stuff (y)

Reactions: Hapanaaq

·
Super Moderator
2016 Can-Am Outlander Max XT 650
1,186 Posts
Thank you @Hapanaaq for sharing with us your life and hunting experiences. They are very heart warming and inspirational to be quite frank. My father, a retired mechanic now, taught me how to hunt and fix things at a young age and I am very grateful for having these skills. Since I've bought my ATV last year in July, I've become more and more interested and knowledgeable in fixing it up and modding it out and taking it on hunting trips and camping and what not.

As to where you live, which is really heaven and on my bucket list, I got to learn more about it by watching Ice Pilots as I was getting my private pilot license back in 2012. It was so fascinating to me see how remote Nunavut is yet how connected it can be with air transportation. Then I watched the mini-series The Terror a couple of years back on the Franklin Expedition and became so much interested in learning about what happened to them and where the ships were found and all that. Super fascinating as well and chilling at times. Would love to hear more from you on that.

Godspeed!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you @Hapanaaq for sharing with us your life and hunting experiences. They are very heart warming and inspirational to be quite frank. My father, a retired mechanic now, taught me how to hunt and fix things at a young age and I am very grateful for having these skills. Since I've bought my ATV last year in July, I've become more and more interested and knowledgeable in fixing it up and modding it out and taking it on hunting trips and camping and what not.

As to where you live, which is really heaven and on my bucket list, I got to learn more about it by watching Ice Pilots as I was getting my private pilot license back in 2012. It was so fascinating to me see how remote Nunavut is yet how connected it can be with air transportation. Then I watched the mini-series The Terror a couple of years back on the Franklin Expedition and became so much interested in learning about what happened to them and where the ships were found and all that. Super fascinating as well and chilling at times. Would love to hear more from you on that.

Godspeed!
Thank you sir!
If you ever commit to traveling up here I will gladly show you around. 🙂

Unfortunately I have very little knowledge of the Franklin expedition.
But it is common knowledge to locals on Baffin Island. The ships were never lost or discovered per se, but Inuit have always transmitted their locations to one another orally.

God speed🙂

·
Registered
157 Posts
Thanks for sharing ! Absolutely love to see a real outdoor lifestyle. I am kicking myself for not going hunting with my father when I was younger. I didn’t have an interest at the time not at all my fathers fault, he tried. I wanted to hunt as a young adult but was intimidated by all of the regulations and limited area. Finally in my early 40’s a neighbor took the time to show me the ropes. I shared my 4 wheeler/ off-road knowledge and he helped me get my first deer. Turkey is next ! Best part about it is my son is wanting to join me in the future ( he is 6 now ). I may not be the most lethal hunter out there but I sure enjoy the effort.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for sharing ! Absolutely love to see a real outdoor lifestyle. I am kicking myself for not going hunting with my father when I was younger. I didn’t have an interest at the time not at all my fathers fault, he tried. I wanted to hunt as a young adult but was intimidated by all of the regulations and limited area. Finally in my early 40’s a neighbor took the time to show me the ropes. I shared my 4 wheeler/ off-road knowledge and he helped me get my first deer. Turkey is next ! Best part about it is my son is wanting to join me in the future ( he is 6 now ). I may not be the most lethal hunter out there but I sure enjoy the effort.
Amazing!!
I love it, take your son out any time you can...remember they come first and foremost.
I lost my father due to a heart attack while he was competing in a dog mushing race in 2009, he was 65 years old...I was only 17. I also lost my mom in 2019. Life is precious.
Teach your son everything you know, those are the best learning experience he will get, no amount of time in school will be of value compared to the things you pass on to him.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Smile Snow Sky Dog Carnivore

I caught my first wolverine just last spring while attempting to travel from Rankin Inlet, NU to Yellowknife, NWT by snowmobile. Our mission was to pick up a few friends and sponsors up and haul a freestyle ramp back to Rankin Inlet. Unfortunately we had to call the trip off due to a 6-day blizzard as we were near the NU/NWT border. Roughly 58 km away. Another 400+ km from Yellowknife.
I blew my sled out there so we left it behind. I will be going back out there to pick it up maybe in January.
Sky Snow Sea ice Outdoor recreation Ice cap

My partner, Willie and I also got to catch our first moose out there during the trip.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts