Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2021Defender HD10 XT / 2018 OutlanderMax 800 / 2005 Bombardier 400
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I FINALLY gave up and dumped my sons DS250. It was the absolute worst purchase of my life in the world of ATVs. This is a horrible bike in EVERY respect that matters. I spent endless hours and money attempting to bring this bike up to the level of "decent" and in the end I was never happy with its performance.

This bike is so slow and under powered that it is DANGEROUS. On it's maiden voyage my son attempted to climb a hill and only made it 2/3 of the way before the bike lost power (engine simply wound down til the bike stopped even though the engine was running). Imagine watching your 12 year old child trying to maneuver a 430 pound bike downhill BACKWARDS without it flipping over! It's grossly overweight at a whopping 430 lbs compared to its competitors: Honda TRX250 351 lbs and Yamaha Raptor 250 310 lbs. This is a bid deal when you're dealing with bikes that put less than 17HP (HP-to-Weight ratio). As for aftermarket accessories and that includes basic maintenance items, there are virtually NONE to speak of compared to its competitors and when you can find them they are very expensive. And finally, there is no resale value on this bike because most everyone is aware of all of the DS250's enormous shortcomings.

If you're ever considering purchasing an ATV in the 250 class, do yourself a favor and do your research - something I didn't do. While I'm a CanAm loyalist, all bets are off to this South Korean import. If you need a great bike in this class, purchase a Honda TRX250 or the Yamaha Raptor 250. Read the forums on this site and you will see that NO ONE is either proud or delighted in any way with this bike. The only thing I ever liked about this bike were the CanAm decals and waving good-bye to the person that purchased it. Whats always puzzled me about this bike was why on earth would a world class manufacturer like CanAm would allow this bike for over 8 years to tarnish its name. You know they read this forum and yet have only made the bike worse while raising its price year after year.

Sorry about this rant. I feel like a huge burden has been lifted from me by getting rid of this piece of [email protected]$p that is no better than a Chinese bike that you can purchase at 1/2 the price. Now I'm going to take this money and purchase a newer Outlander 650. :th_smiliedance: Thanks for listening, this should help my therapy.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
650 is a great machine! I'm sure you won't be disappointed!:th_smiliethumbsup:

·
Registered
114 Posts
My DS 450 was fun but i dont miss it. It was my least favorite quad Ive ever owned.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yeah its a shame that Can Am doesn't make a decent 250 (it's outsourced).. it would probably be a decent machine if it was designed and built on this side of the world.

GYPSY400

·
Registered
2021Defender HD10 XT / 2018 OutlanderMax 800 / 2005 Bombardier 400
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is really amazing is that CanAm knows the 250 is a piece of $#!* and they DO NOT CARE. Since it debuted CanAm has done nothing to help it. It is a dangerous machine for a child to operate. Period.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Does brp even make that bike? Is it a KYMCO?
BRP does not make the 250.. I dont recall who makes it, but im pretty sure its not Kymco (Kymco is actually a decent bike).. GIA comes to mind for some reason.. the same company also makes the 90 and 70 for BRP

Fyi.. Kymco actually does alot for Arctic Cat. The 366 and the 450 sport/utility model along with a few Snowmobile engines..

GYPSY400

·
Registered
263 Posts
DS ok for me

My 11 year old has been riding a DS 250 for a year now and we have not had any problems with it. We ride at the Dunes, desert trails and in the mountains. He has never been stuck on a hill and even at the dunes he can go up most without a problem. I do admit he is very small for an 11 year old so as he gets older it may be a problem but not now. The bike does 43-45 with him on it and that is fast enough for me. He of course wants to go faster.
The unsafe hill you mentioned did happen to me one day when we were at an OHV park in the mountains and he was nervous to ride up this black diamond as it was all boulders. I tried it and spanning to boulders and it slipped off causing the bike to be jammed between the rocks in the V. I weigh ~250 and the belt was slipping but the engine continued to perform.
At the dunes we ride with a lot of 450 Hondas and 350 Banshee's and he keeps up with them just fine. My little guy on his DS90X has some problems though as he can only get 22-25 in the sand.
Anyway just wanted to mention it may be an ok bike for some as it seems to work fine for my boy and he doesn't back off from a challenge.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I FINALLY gave up and dumped my sons DS250. It was the absolute worst purchase of my life in the world of ATVs. This is a horrible bike in EVERY respect that matters. I spent endless hours and money attempting to bring this bike up to the level of "decent" and in the end I was never happy with its performance.

This bike is so slow and under powered that it is DANGEROUS. On it's maiden voyage my son attempted to climb a hill and only made it 2/3 of the way before the bike lost power (engine simply wound down til the bike stopped even though the engine was running). Imagine watching your 12 year old child trying to maneuver a 430 pound bike downhill BACKWARDS without it flipping over! It's grossly overweight at a whopping 430 lbs compared to its competitors: Honda TRX250 351 lbs and Yamaha Raptor 250 310 lbs. This is a bid deal when you're dealing with bikes that put less than 17HP (HP-to-Weight ratio). As for aftermarket accessories and that includes basic maintenance items, there are virtually NONE to speak of compared to its competitors and when you can find them they are very expensive. And finally, there is no resale value on this bike because most everyone is aware of all of the DS250's enormous shortcomings.

If you're ever considering purchasing an ATV in the 250 class, do yourself a favor and do your research - something I didn't do. While I'm a CanAm loyalist, all bets are off to this South Korean import. If you need a great bike in this class, purchase a Honda TRX250 or the Yamaha Raptor 250. Read the forums on this site and you will see that NO ONE is either proud or delighted in any way with this bike. The only thing I ever liked about this bike were the CanAm decals and waving good-bye to the person that purchased it. Whats always puzzled me about this bike was why on earth would a world class manufacturer like CanAm would allow this bike for over 8 years to tarnish its name. You know they read this forum and yet have only made the bike worse while raising its price year after year.

Sorry about this rant. I feel like a huge burden has been lifted from me by getting rid of this piece of [email protected]$p that is no better than a Chinese bike that you can purchase at 1/2 the price. Now I'm going to take this money and purchase a newer Outlander 650. :th_smiliedance: Thanks for listening, this should help my therapy.
Very well said. I agree 100%!

·
Registered
4 Posts
We have a 2019 and my son is 13. He loves it but he does not have to fix the thing. Every time we go out it goes to the garage when done to get fixed. It is now over heating and I have no idea why. No resale value. Not happy about this orange pile of crap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts