Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2008 outty from my local yami dealer and the first thing i noticed on the first ride was the terrible strut noise. i took it to the dealer and he said that was normal on the non 650/800 models. I dug deeper into and realized that. So instead of blowing my money on OEM i decided to blaze a new trail. I ordered a set of used 1998 grizzly 600 struts on ebay for $55 shipped. Then i ordered a Kawasaki prairie 650 lift kit for $26.99 shipped. Its a bolt on replacement and raised the front of my outty about 2"! I will get pics up soon of the comparison as soon as my 30's get here!

Just thought i'd share my find and maybe save yall a couple hundred dollars!

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Pics will be nice!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Yeah buddy...PICS, PICS, PICS.!!!! :D

TITAN

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will get pics up this weekend and make a write up of how to do everything! i will post a side by side comparison of the struts and explain how the lift works. The lift threads onto the end of the strut and is a spacer and then you put the nut on the threaded end of the lift its a cool design!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well these bikes "nose dive" as i would call it in the truck industry but i reckon we can carry it over to the atv world. So its basically level now it looks alot better! i might be a little later putting pics up because i have to work this weekend, i want to do a write up on it because i think it is really helpful, i know i searched high and low!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Can't wait to see how this works I have a lot of friends with 400 and 500 outlanders

2004 Grizzly 660
Hmf slip on
K&N air filter
1.5 wheel spacers
Rad relocate
High strength axles
28 zillas
1.5 mm clutch shim
Snorkeled

·
Registered
538 Posts
Will this work w/o the lift kit?

Surely it will, didn't he say the lift threaded onto the top of the strut? If so, the diameter should be exact and fit the bracket.

I wanna know if it improves ride quality or you just lose the noise? Of course, that "noise" sounds like the piston is about to come out of the top of the strut assembly!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got to ride it on a long ride yesterday and it rides 100% better and no more noise at all. Im sending the pics to my email right now to upload them and give yall an idea of what they look like with the lift installed and how the lift exactly works.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here is the strut and lift mounted to the atv. I drilled out the pop rivets and put stainless bolts through the holes because i didnt like the little rivets lol.

Also, you have to cut this tab off with a grinder or similar. I used my 4" grinder with a cutting disc and it literally took 5 seconds each.

Here is the final product, its pretty dirty but my rims and tires are brand new so they are clean :)

·
Registered
173 Posts
thats awsome! i might do it when my warrenty expires

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks! yeah i spent a total of $83 on the replacement. There is tons of used grizzly 600 struts on ebay. Mine are off of a 1997 but are still great and don't sag! I really hope everyone enjoys this find as much as i do:th_smiliebanana2:

·
Registered
131 Posts
This makes me happy :) Mine is a 2011 Ive own it one year on sunday and it rides horrible it took about 8 months for both shocks to go bad. I was looking at dual A-arm set up but it just cost so much. Im going to do this when my warrenty is up

·
Registered
421 Posts
After installation....when you jack the frontend up so the wheels hang free...how close does the bottom of the strut come to the axle??
If you click on my signature and look at the first set of pics, on the second one you will see what I mean . Thanks for the lead...very interesting..

·
Registered
131 Posts
so in theory if I decided to do this could I take my Can-am shocks off and put the yamaha shocks on without any modifications to my quad, and if I had to get it in for serviced I could swap them back I know its a lot of work but would be worth it for a better ride..... because my dealer doesn't care the my shocks went bad

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah its not hard to swap out the struts at all. It took me maybe 20 minutes taking my time to get the front bumper, racks, and plastics off. Then from there its super easy.

And when the bike is jacked up with the wheels hanging the bottom of the strut is about exactly the same as the factory strut.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts