Can-Am ATV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
awesome i think one of the other guys asked will it work without the 2'' lift or are the struts shorts the Can-ams

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Yes it will work without the lift because the struts are pretty much exactly the same length wise. I mean the only minor modification you have to make is cut that little tab off the grizzly struts which is pictured. But i would recommend the lift just because its dirt cheap and easy to do while you already in there and can-am bikes all nosedive in the factory stance.

·
Registered
44 Posts
not to hi jack your thread but i if anyone else is looking to do this i have a set of 99 grizzly 600 complete struts with 800 miles for sale.$60 plus shipping from ny.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Can you install this strut & extension without compressing the spring? The reason I ask is , does the strut or the cv-joint limit the downward travel of the A-frame ? If the cv-joint stops the extension of the strut then this could damage the cv-joints( pulling them apart) over time.
Just a note: if you put that long of a strut extension on the stock strut it will no longer top out with a clunk, however it will likely wreck your cv-joints.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Can you install this strut & extension without compressing the spring? The reason I ask is , does the strut or the cv-joint limit the downward travel of the A-frame ? If the cv-joint stops the extension of the strut then this could damage the cv-joints( pulling them apart) over time.

I cant answer your question as I havent worked on that style of front end yet, but! I think I have idea for checking it out. While installing the shock if you have to pull the A arm up to put the bolt in you should be good. If you have to push down to install the bolt you will break stuff.

·
Registered
421 Posts

I cant answer your question as I havent worked on that style of front end yet, but! I think I have idea for checking it out. While installing the shock if you have to pull the A arm up to put the bolt in you should be good. If you have to push down to install the bolt you will break stuff.
That is correct...the strut itself has to be the limiting factor...the ideal is that the strut limits out just before the cv-joint does. A .975" extension on the stock strut is safe max raising the front 2 1/4". On a 2007 400XT

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Yes i definitely had to "lift" the lower A arm to get the strut to bolt up. and no you do not have to compress any springs. This is not a pipe lift but yet a thread on extension for the ball joint that pivots at the top of the strut where it mounts to the frame.

·
Registered
421 Posts
If the Kawi extension is 2" then the 600 Yamy strut must be about 1" shorter fully extended then the stock brp strut...does that sound about right? I notice the positioning of the lower mount holes seem to be slightly lower allowing more clearance to the axle? What about the "valving" is there more dampening on extension?

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
My guess is the Yammy strut has dampening on compression and rebound where the BRP one just limits rebound. Compression is all handled by the spring. This will help sagging and ride quality if true.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
My guess is the Yammy strut has dampening on compression and rebound where the BRP one just limits rebound. Compression is all handled by the spring. This will help sagging and ride quality if true.
Exactly right!

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'd like to do this mod,but with new Yammie struts.Anyone know of a supplier for new aftermarket struts?I haven't been able to locate any.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes I did this with a used 97 700 griz strut and a kawi lift kit. Works awesssssome. Just I had to put on my existing spring compressing spacer i had on my outy strut, so that my 29.5 outlaw 2s would fit. I'd advise doin this works great and cheap!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I would like to do this strut replacement

If anyone has the correct used grizzly struts please contact me.
Thanks.
Eric in Ct

·
Registered
46 Posts
I may look into this. Changing out to a arms is kinda expensive, even with used parts.
Eric, I looked on eBay and they are easy to find. Just search grizzly 600 struts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Try eBay man, I got mine from there. They were off a 98-01 griz 600. I payed 40 bucks a strut then another 40$ each to ship to Canada. The lift kit also came from there. Kawasaki prairie and brute force atv 2" lift for a 360 650 700, I paid 16$ for the kit and 20$ shipping.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just wondering what makes the grizzly strut better than the stock strut?
Is it built differently?

Also i see different year grizzly struts on ebay. ('98, '99, '01) are they all the same or is there a range of years that will work and some that wont.

Thanks
Eric in Ct.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Well i got the '01 grizzly struts off ebay($50 pair) and i the kawi brute force 2" bolt on lift kit coming from ATVEngineering ($18.00). Hopefully its just what i need to fix the front suspention on my 2011 outy 500xt.

The original poster to this thread mentioned a 2008 outy 500. I know the plastic front had holes in it under the rack so you could easily get to the top strut nut. The 2011 plastic doesnt have an access hole. Question-I does the whole plastic front hood have to come off, or can you just loosen it up and get to the clip and nut from underneath?
Thanks,
Eric in Ct.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts