Can-Am ATV Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am doing this to my wifes 500 right now, as the right shock went bad at only 300 miles! thats like a sick joke. Any way, yes the yamaha strut is shorter and the front of the can am will look too low, so a lift is almost necessary. I got it all put together, and it just doesnt look right. going to order a lift now.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Good to hear. I wasn't planning on putting the lift on, but was worried the Grizz struts were not the same size.
Damn shame we have to use 15 year old Yamaha parts on a $10,000 can am.
I just got my bike and both struts are shot. Has 400 miles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
and id like to know how you found a lift kit for $29. cheapest i could find anywhere were used ones for $50, next cheapest were $70 and on up. I ordered them anyway, of course

·
Registered
4 Posts
What I did was I made a custom wrench out of 3/8 flat metal with the plasma cutter and put a slight bend in the wrench to get on top of the strut . This way I could take the snap ring on top off and loosen the nut on top of the strut without removing all the plastics. I have an 08 500 outlander. It's a bit of a bitch to get at that top nut but it's doable. I've had my struts off multiple times and kinda got the nack now. You do need the lift kit or else it will sag like crazy in the front. I even added spring compressing spacers using 2 inch galvanized female pipe cupplers works wicked for the 29.5 outlaw 2s

·
Registered
298 Posts
I'd like to know why the 400/500 struts in front are failing prematurely? What is happening that they fail? What were you all doing when they fail?

Seems to me if they only last 500 miles or under, Can Am needs to do a recall on them, agree?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'd like to know why the 400/500 struts in front are failing prematurely? What is happening that they fail? What were you all doing when they fail?

Seems to me if they only last 500 miles or under, Can Am needs to do a recall on them, agree?

Million dollar question there! Their fix was to finally go to a arms on the newer models. I don't think there is a safety issue, so they will not recall.
I find the build quality on this can am to be kinda poor. My bike is older but has low miles and time on it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Well my package arrived from ATVEngineeringparts and it wasnt what i ordered. I had ordered the 2" lift kit for a Kawi Brut Force for $17.99 but received 2 sets of wheel spacers.
I called up and was told to keep the spacers and they would refund my PayPal (and they did). When i go to the website now the lift kit is listed at $199.99 and there out of stock. So i still need the lift kit because the grizzly struts i got (off ebay-$40 pair) are about 1" shorter. So with a 2" lift kit the front end will be 1" higher, so no more nose diving when stopping.
So if anyone knows where to get a 2" lift kit for a reasonable price, please let me know.
I have a friend thats a cnc operator at a machine shop and was thinking about asking him to custom turn a pair.
I will keep you all updated on this project.

EK in Ct.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I just bought my son a 2014 Outty and ordered some 29.5" Outlaw Blems that measure only 28.5" or so. They are rubbing bad on the fender and the foot board support. Does this mod help clear the bigger tires as I noticed some of you are running bigger tires than I have.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just replaced my front struts off my 2010 outlander 400 with the grizzly struts and kaw 2" lift. lifted it 2 inches. drives and handles nice except for now i have popping in my front joints! anyone run into this? maybe my joints were already worn and ready to start letting me know?

·
Registered
18 Posts
mod works great!

Thanks Kelly386! I did this on my 2004 outy 330 after one of the struts blew out. You did a good description and I didn't have any issues (except getting the huge metric socket required to take bolt off on top, I think it was 42mm). Ride is much better and saved a bunch of money not having to buy Canam struts. BTW I have one good strut to sell in case anyone doesn't want to do the mod yet. zeppelindad

·
Registered
17 Posts
I know this is an old thread but, do you have any pictures of how you made the mounts for the top of the grizzly struts? Will this work on a Gen 1 2011 500 EFI?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well i got the '01 grizzly struts off ebay($50 pair) and i the kawi brute force 2" bolt on lift kit coming from ATVEngineering ($18.00). Hopefully its just what i need to fix the front suspention on my 2011 outy 500xt.

The original poster to this thread mentioned a 2008 outy 500. I know the plastic front had holes in it under the rack so you could easily get to the top strut nut. The 2011 plastic doesnt have an access hole. Question-I does the whole plastic front hood have to come off, or can you just loosen it up and get to the clip and nut from underneath?
Thanks,
Eric in Ct.
Did you ever get this to work for your 2011 Gen 1??

·
Registered
39 Posts
Looks like the lift kit you bought on ebay is a front and rear lift. Did you just use the front spacers or did you lift the rear as well?

This is a current ebay link that i was looking at. It looks like your lift kit had a black lift spacer?

41 - 57 of 57 Posts