1 - 20 of 33 Posts

Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Compulsive
Buying
Disorder

:ROFLMAO: :p :ROFLMAO: :p

So why am I posting in the kitty-kat section of the forums?

Wellllllllll, funny story, that.......

I feel like I'm perpetually on the hunt for an easy/quick flip around me, ATV's don't typically involve DMV/Notary-types, so they're the "low hanging fruit" I tend to gravitate towards. That said, I spotted on marketplace, an old Mud Pro close to me, looked alright, priced cheap, hadn't run in over a year, thought it might be worth a gander. Rolled out to it on lunch break a couple weeks ago, had a good chat with the seller, checked oil level good and clean, bumped it over with jumper cables, motor spins free/not locked up, figured wth, shook hands at $350 and used his other/twin MP700 to push it up into the back of my truck (y) The bumpers on those things are for real

Rolled it outta the bed and into the garage that evening, forgot about it for a few days while the battery was on the way. Did a little research, did a little conditional inspection, gas smelled awful, needs seat re-covered, grips, brake pads, perhaps wheel bearings, handlebar master cylinder, all that kinda typical stuff, but it appears to still have the factory 28" outlaw MST tires still on it, appears to be a very low-mileage/use machine, guess time will tell....

Battery arrived last week, stuck it on the tender cause my evenings were booked solid until Friday when I had a few minutes to tinker around on the neon green thing, (what an aggressive theme ) so I cleaned off the corrosion on the battery/winch cables, dropped the battery in, dabbed just a little dielectric on the terminals, and tightened everything up. Began to think about how to siphon or drain the gas outta the tank when it occurred to me "what do you have to lose? See if it'll fire up"

And it did :cool:

Dip me in oil and call me slick, I've got a running four wheeler for a $400 total investment so far! And not just any old carb'd 250, this thing's EFI, IRS, factory snorkeled, 700cc, disc brakes, tons of ground clearance, etc... SCORE! 馃嵑

So it's got some things to address, I ran it long enough to pop the temp indicator on the cluster, which was pretty wiped out/hard to see, but the fan didn't come on, so something's going on there. Engine sounded fine, but the clutches were louder than I would've expected, I'll pull the cover off and see what's going on in there. They were moving air, tho, blowing all kindsa dust and debris out of the snorkels, so the belt at least appears to still be there.

I made the mistake of flipping the kill switch, instead of using the key, and liked to never got it to power up again, so I'll take that down and see if I can clean it or just replace it. Also prolly gonna do the speedo/cluster thing, can't hardly see anything it's trying to display ( think I saw an EFI code briefly? ) but so far I'm pretty happy, think I can make some holiday money off reselling it. I'm even toying with the idea of selling my boys fourtrax and giving him this one instead, we'll see..... pics to come!

Registered
Haha that's a steal!! I'll add to this one just because I'm always on the hunt for a good flipper machine as well.

Started about 5 years ago when I was just getting into the hobby and knew very little about ATVs in general. I was doing some construction work at a nearby car dealership when I saw a bright orange quad sitting in the back. Turns out it's a heavily modified 2008 Yamaha Banshee that looked like it had just rolled off the showroom floor. (2006 was the last year the Banshee was available in the USA, but Canada offered the quad for 2007 and 2008). Chatted up the guy and turns out it has engine or timing issues and isn't working. I knew nothing about the machine or even sport quads in general but you could tell it was a head turner.

Ended up asking what he wanted for it and he let it go for $1200 CDN because he assumed it needed a full rebuild. He also wasn't the one who did the work and seemed to not know much about it! But wait, there's more...

I take this thing home and can actually get it to start and run a little by spraying gas down the intakes. Turns out he was missing a $2 hose between the carbs which I had somehow noticed when seeing that they both had an open nipple. I cut a piece of fuel line and popped it on. Machine ran with half a kick from the kick start as if it was brand new. Turns out he had about 2 hours on a brand new machine with full Toomey T5 exhaust, nerf bars, and a bunch of other goodies. The thing ran like an absolute monster, smooth, power was insane, just amazing to drive but being a rookie I never had the balls to take it out of 2nd gear when driving it. He claimed it was able to hit over 100mph but that claim will remain unanswered because I never had it over 50.

Me being the young idiot I was and not having the cash to keep it, ended up selling to an older gentleman for $4200 and that kick started my buying/fixing/selling side gig. I've regretted letting that one go to this day and would gladly pay 8K right now to have it back in the shape it was in. Below are a few pictures of it at the dealership I bought it from.

Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's awesome!

It never ceases to amaze me how some people can invest so much money into something only to let it go for pennies on the dollar...... but that allows guys like (us) to do what we do

Registered
Exactly! With good shipping connections I have great reach all across Canada. The only downside is that I can't share all my amazing finds with many people due to fear of competition or to concern buyers with knowing what I'm paying for machines lol

Registered
Haha that's a steal!! I'll add to this one just because I'm always on the hunt for a good flipper machine as well.

Started about 5 years ago when I was just getting into the hobby and knew very little about ATVs in general. I was doing some construction work at a nearby car dealership when I saw a bright orange quad sitting in the back. Turns out it's a heavily modified 2008 Yamaha Banshee that looked like it had just rolled off the showroom floor. (2006 was the last year the Banshee was available in the USA, but Canada offered the quad for 2007 and 2008). Chatted up the guy and turns out it has engine or timing issues and isn't working. I knew nothing about the machine or even sport quads in general but you could tell it was a head turner.

Ended up asking what he wanted for it and he let it go for $1200 CDN because he assumed it needed a full rebuild. He also wasn't the one who did the work and seemed to not know much about it! But wait, there's more...

I take this thing home and can actually get it to start and run a little by spraying gas down the intakes. Turns out he was missing a $2 hose between the carbs which I had somehow noticed when seeing that they both had an open nipple. I cut a piece of fuel line and popped it on. Machine ran with half a kick from the kick start as if it was brand new. Turns out he had about 2 hours on a brand new machine with full Toomey T5 exhaust, nerf bars, and a bunch of other goodies. The thing ran like an absolute monster, smooth, power was insane, just amazing to drive but being a rookie I never had the balls to take it out of 2nd gear when driving it. He claimed it was able to hit over 100mph but that claim will remain unanswered because I never had it over 50.

Me being the young idiot I was and not having the cash to keep it, ended up selling to an older gentleman for $4200 and that kick started my buying/fixing/selling side gig. I've regretted letting that one go to this day and would gladly pay 8K right now to have it back in the shape it was in. Below are a few pictures of it at the dealership I bought it from.

View attachment 100450 View attachment 100451 View attachment 100452 View attachment 100453

Those things were sooo bad when modded .
An old friend of mine used to run one down where we ride ( rocks , super steep hills and some fast hardpack ) .
He had a ball on that .
He built the thing himself :
Lectron carbs
Old-school Paul Turner pipes ...
Nobody could touch George on the fire-roads
Even my buddys 350X was no match for that animal

Nasty !

Registered
! Congratulations on your new ride Bomb! Let鈥檚 see some pics!

Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lol, sheesh, y'all, it's just another MP700 like any other..... I thought to snap a pic or two last night but it's already loaded down with pallets and turkey fryers :p in preparation for tomorrow:p

Here- found these online:

:cool::cool::cool:

Now just envision a little more "wear" on my bike, than those pics: the rims are a little more tarnished/oxidized, the bumpers are scuffed and scraped, and the seat cover's all torn up and mostly missing.

I'll snap some actual pics after I clean it up good, promise

Reactions: Jungleman

Registered
Traitor!!!

No, I kid.
Theres a cat in our group.
Its a decent ride.
Buddy seems to like it.

Congrats on the score!
Have fun.

Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Traitor!!!
lol, I'll never be able to consider any other brand of ATV than Can-Am, don't worry. As much as that may bite me in the ass down the road? Is anyone's guess :p

This was merely another one of those "too good to pass up" purchases. It may end up replacing my boys fourtrax, who knows

Registered
Man kick me the fourtrax if youre gonna get rid if it lol

In other circles CBD is aka GAS haha
Gear
Acquisition
Syndrome

There is no cure so why fight it, just go with it!

Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

There it is! Just backed it in after a quick rip around the 'hood the other night. Figured out it was the main/ign relay, as well as the fuel pump relay, that were intermittent, making me think the kill switch was to blame. I swapped the SIG (start in gear) for the main, and the neutral? for the fuel pump, it fires up every time now (y) I ordered a few in off ebay, they're en route.

Gotta say, even on old nasty gas and who knows how dry-rotted and cracked a belt, it's got some snot off idle, pulling the front wheels in my yard. Guess that's where the torque monster moniker comes from, lol.

Brake pads arrived today, cluster, handlebar grips, seat cover all expected later this week. This one might be a keeper, still pondering....

I gotta do something with those rims, the oxidation/tarnish is just "blech", those things are supposed to be polished/shiny..... ideas?

Reactions: CanAmRancher1

Registered
Outlander MAX PRO 570 2019
"Bare metal" (rims),maybe NEVR DULL.

Registered
Nice.
Glad youre having fun with it!

Paint em.
Was checking out some anodized rattlecans on my last camo paint run...looked cool.
Cheaper than powdercoating or new rims for a project like that Id do it.
Hit those racks and that bumper while youre at it 馃槈

Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Racks and bumpers are definitely getting a little rattle-can lovin', them shiny fenders and soon-to-be-recovered seat will dictate it (y) and then the rims will be the "appearance" eyesore

I think at this point the rims are so far gone, I can kinduv experiment on stripping/polishing 'em, without really fearing ruining 'em. So I'll try to restore them first, before giving up and painting 'em. The surface needs to be "prepped" either way, is my mindset there

So in reading up on this thing, it would appear to be the first "XMR" that Can-Am guys would recognize, I gotta give credit where it's due: AC set this thing up, way back in '09, for use like most of us down here in this region, use our bikes for. It really only needs the radiator relocated, and that's it.

Tons of ground clearance, 28" Outlaw tires stock, lower geared transmission as a result, winch, front diff locker, etc, it's an impressive little bike, imo, so far. Guess time will tell if it holds up or not. It appears to have weathered it's first 11 years alright

Registered
Very nice Bom!

I am too new to ATV's to have a opinion on brand X vs brand Y which is good because I will try anything and learn to hate them later. At $350 I would have had that in my truck so fast I might put it in the wrong truck. Nice job!

Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Very nice Bom!

I am too new to ATV's to have a opinion on brand X vs brand Y which is good because I will try anything and learn to hate them later. At $350 I would have had that in my truck so fast I might put it in the wrong truck. Nice job!
My "name brand not-withstanding basic must-haves on an ATV" list reads something like this: IRS, Snorkels, Relocated Rad, and that's just to maximize the bikes potential, as well as offer some level of insurance should you accidentally find yourself in over your racks. "Like-to-haves" would include EFI, disc brakes, CVT transmission, just for ease of operation/riding. That's just my take, and I know everyone's is different. So, yeah, kinda chuffed to have scored this one, so far, lol

1 - 20 of 33 Posts