Can-Am ATV Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
4,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I'd soda-blast the rims , all the clearcoat is gone already.
Sandblast? I was hoping for more of a DIY approach, but yeah, clear coat is obviously wiped. There's an ole boy up in town that advertises sandblasting services, but then wouldn't I have to polish them afterwards?

Reactions: Jungleman

·
Registered
192 Posts
So I like to start at the bottom and work my way up finding the sweet spot where you go from not enough technology and too much. Started with drum brakes and yes they stink, I will soon try disc and see what that changes. A CVT may be next but ... I kind of like a clutch and gears on motorcycles to be determined on a atv. The need for snorkles sounds fun but that may be a way off i would need to find a place to test them out first.

Relocated Rad? where and why?
Not to thread jack just trying to learn.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Sandblast? I was hoping for more of a DIY approach, but yeah, clear coat is obviously wiped. There's an ole boy up in town that advertises sandblasting services, but then wouldn't I have to polish them afterwards?
What you need is something gentle enough to strip the clearcoat without damaging the casting itself. Sand would probably be too coarse . Walnut shells ? That's why I suggested (baking) soda as a blast medium .
If the fella does sandblasting , take him a rim and see what he recommends . He probably knows more than me :) .

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
4,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
So I like to start at the bottom and work my way up finding the sweet spot where you go from not enough technology and too much. Started with drum brakes and yes they stink, I will soon try disc and see what that changes. A CVT may be next but ... I kind of like a clutch and gears on motorcycles to be determined on a atv. The need for snorkles sounds fun but that may be a way off i would need to find a place to test them out first.

Relocated Rad? where and why?
Not to thread jack just trying to learn.
No worries, it's just the internet (y)

Down here, there are plenty of bodies/pools of water/stream/creek/river crossings/mudholes, etc, even the hunters/farmers, that don't "play" like some of us do, still, I'd advise, "need" to get their radiator up and out of the mud and the muck, due to the occasional need to submerge their racks to get to where they want to go. That sand and sediment and leaves and all, clog up the radiator and decrease its cooling efficiency, not to mention eventually burn up the cooling fan. That's why my take, is to relocate all that up and out of all that environment.

Obviously, that's not as big a concern for other riders in other parts of the country/world, that would rather have their front rack utility, and rarely see muddy water that deep.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
4,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Brought some relays in, for this thing, along with a seat cover, a replacement speedo/cluster ( that gamble failed, got one from a "similar" machine, it wouldn't communicate, it's back on eBay), brake pads, handlebar grips, aaaaaand what else? I think that's it.

Over the Christmas break while on vacation, I took the front tires down to replace the brake pads and discovered the RF brake line had somehow rubbed a pinhole in it :rolleyes: one of those 3 in 1 T-style setups I'm not looking forward to replacing.... but after replacing the rear pads, got them working fine, so the kids can at least play around on it somewhat "safely"

Replaced the grips, confirmed the fan worked, I still need to try my hand at upholstery (replacing the seat cover), but it ran for hours up at the farm, kids slogging through the water and mud, hauling the big ole trailer around all loaded down with firewood, etc, and you'd never have known it hadn't run in over a year prior.

Until just before nightfall on the 2nd day, when it started spitting and burping and struggling to come up off idle. I think the fuel pump has croaked. It needs wheel bearings, and one of the tires is so badly gashed it leaks air, but I'm not sure I'm going to address those before moving it along. I've pretty well made up my mind "eh, it's a decent bike, but it's not worth permanently adding to the fleet", so I'm thinking I'll just price it low for a quick sale and get rid of it. Lemme see what Quantum has for it...

Reactions: Jungleman

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
4,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I need a clone..... lol.... it's been 5 months since I messed with this thing, good grief......

I couldn't just offload it not running, and a friend of mine's expressed interest in it, so I figured I'd better spend a little time and money on it, get it ready to ride/sell. Replaced the seat cover a few weeks back and finally got around to changing the fuel pump Sunday. Quantum's pump for this application, while I'm thinking about it, needed a few little alterations, it wasn't the plug-n-play I was expecting like the Outlander kit was. Just a matter of cutting the power plug off and using their supplied terminals re-crimped onto the harness, to power up the pump. The body of the pump was just a little smaller than the OE that came out of it, so they included a little rubber donut/spacer that's used to take up the slack. The factory hose clamp wouldn't work then, so had to grab one off the wall.

Other than that, no real issues. Siphoned the tank down and cleaned it good, replaced the pump, added some fresh gas, thought it should fire up then, but it didn't 🤷‍♂️ :mad: always something.... spark looks real weak, so I'm gonna slap another plug in it and go from there. It's sending plenty of fuel to the injector, I'll have to check it if the plug isn't the culprit

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
4,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
New plug did the trick, it's running again (y)

Now to change the wheel bearings (yaayy) and it'll be good to go

·
Registered
2016 Can-Am Outlander Max XT 650
805 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
4,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Nah, just eBay special.

If I was keeping it, I may have researched and spent on the "good ones", but for the sake of keeping the wheels from wobbling around, they'll do

Reactions: xsever

·
Registered
805 Posts
Nah, just eBay special.

If I was keeping it, I may have researched and spent on the "good ones", but for the sake of keeping the wheels from wobbling around, they'll do
Flip 'er right alright! 😉

Reactions: BombardierBomb

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
4,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 9.28.53 AM.png

Sold it Sunday, pocketed a grand, so not a bad venture. I probably coulda made more, but the buyer was a good friend, so a little discount was applied :cool:

Now to get started on my bike (y)

Reactions: SuperATV

·
Registered
805 Posts
Sold it Sunday, pocketed a grand, so not a bad venture. I probably coulda made more, but the buyer was a good friend, so a little discount was applied :cool:

Now to get started on my bike
Congratulations! A grand is a grand.
What's the plan for your bike?

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
4,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
What's the plan for your bike?
Yeah..... about that......

That'll be a(nother) new thread all by itself 🤦‍♂️

21 - 33 of 33 Posts